Paracord for start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamson88

Reaction score
I have a Evinrude outboard and was wondering if anyone has used paracord as a pull start rope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recoil rope? Or wrap around flywheel and pull? If to wrap around the flywheel it would work fine. Not sure on a recoil system but it should have enough abrasion resistance that it should work

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6

Home Depot type stores have lawn mower parts like pull ropes that I think would be better than the thinner paracord.

Seems like I remember seeing a kevlar-reinforced starter rope for some type machine. Might be worth looking into.

It should work. For how long is the question? Recoil ropes are made to be abrasion resistant for what they are worth. Some seem to be better than others. They are also made to keep them from wedging into the groove and binding up as you pull it. Paracord seems like it compresses easily and it might cause problems due to that. You will have to test it to find out.

Welcome Aboard.jpg

IMO - paracord deteriorates when exposed to UV and very well may
do the same when exposed to petroleum products . . . .

I personally would only use cord that has been designed to be a pull cord.
such as for lawnmowers and outboards.

on all my vintage Johnson 25 electric start motors, I had a dowel stick with a lawnmower
cord in a zip-top bag under the cowl for the "dead batt" situations. Some of my motors
didn't have a recoil start - just the flywheel pull.

as DaleH says: do it right - do it once !!

I've used paracord as a pull start rope before and I don't recommend it. With the paracord I used the inner portion or white fibers of the paracord pulled out with the knob in my hand but at least a foot of the outer portion frayed and got stripped off, getting stuck all in the pull cord assembly. It was a mess and left me stranded on the water.

My issue didn't happen the first time I cranked ip the motor with the paracord, but it didn't take long, maybe the 6th or 7th time.

I'm not sure if all paracord is equal or if I was using some kind of cheaper, inferior cord but
my suggestion would be to pay the extra few bucks and get cord that is made to start motors.

I am a big fan of paracord, of course it held me to my parachutes so I am partial to it. It is also great for field expedient repairs. It does have limitations. If it were all I had on hand, I would use it to start a motor. Would I rely on it solely? No. I would have a spare pull cord for my motor in my emergency kit onboard.

ParaTrooper - I agree.

the more years you spend in boats, the bigger your "survival" box gets.
spark plugs, drain plugs, prop, shear pins, starting fluid, sunblock lotion, starting rope,
mirror, flares, orange smoke bombs, flashlight, extra fishing line, extra lures, yada yada yada

Johnny said:
ParaTrooper - I agree.

spark plugs, drain plugs, prop, shear pins, starting fluid, sunblock lotion, starting rope,
mirror, flares, orange smoke bombs, flashlight, extra fishing line, extra lures, yada yada yada

Then pretty soon you will need a bigger boat to carry your "survival box". Then you will need more survival equipment for the bigger boat which in turn creates a vicious cycle. :LOL2:

Johnny said:
ParaTrooper - I agree.

I keep a simple kit, one of everything that I think will possibly break, and a few things that shouldn't break. All but the smoke bombs and flares you mentioned I carry, plus a tomahawk, machete, cell phone battery and of course my 550 cord. It all fits in a StormCase and takes up the space in my boat no one uses anyway.

Your auto inflate rescue raft may take a little altering to my 14ft, but I think I could find room for it. Ha HA

Latest posts