1958 12hp Gale parts?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinnyTinTin

Reaction score
Hello everyone, after a month of cruising the forums I finally joined. I'm rebuilding an old 12hp gale and need a new piston/crankshaft/rod. Parts are scarce and I'm hoping there is some modern day equivalents. Any ideas?
Thanks,

Pics of damage attached.

Attachments

• IMG_2172.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_2123.JPG
    IMG_2123.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 822
Thanks Johnny, I'll check that website out. Someone told me parts are universal to an extent on competitor models of that year like the Johnson and Evinrude. Anyone know if there is truth to that?

yes - the OMC parts are interchangable to some extent.

go to https://www.aomci.org and ask that question in the "Ask a Member"
category . . . some of those old geezers can tell you the exact
parts that are interchangable with which years. all the way back to 1920.

I believe that power head off of an old Evinrude/Johnson 1956 15 HP and 57 and later 18 HP will fit. It looks like they have the same block with just different bore. You will be gaining HP plus you will have roller bearings in the crankshaft and rods instead of the flat bearings the 12 HP used. I have a 1957 Sea King (made by Gale) 12 HP that should be the same as yours. Mine runs good but if I come across a power head I will be making the swap.

Attachments

• Sea King 12.JPG
    Sea King 12.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 672
The two posts above do cover your concerns. aomci, depending on who you talk to, is a wealth of information.
The 1954-56 15hp powerheads from either Johnson or Evinrude should fit as well as what was mentioned above.
The failure above looks like lack of lubrication judging from the bluing on the crank and the looks of the failure.
Do not skimp on oil when you get it back together.

Latest posts