Changed first water pump this weekend. Pee is great. But....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezekiel2517

Reaction score
15 mins from Tims Ford Lake, Normandy Lake, and Wo
Changed first water pump this weekend. Pee is great. But I've got a leak or the motor has an overflow I didn't know about.

My motor is a 2016 Toahtsu 9.8 Electric start. I decided to do my water pump myself. Hoping to save a couple of hundred bucks and a wait times of weeks. After forgeting a casket and rebuilding it twice I know how to do it now. I tested in a barrel and it pees like new. But water is coming out of a hole I didn't even know exsisted. I've marked the hole with foil and black boxes in the attached pictures.

Now the questions. Is water supposed to come out that hole? (like an overflow until motor warms up) The hole has to get water in during operation on the water, Slowing down the boat would cause this.

If water is not supposed to come out this hole, what could cause this problem?

Thanks for all the help, and your fishing be good.

Attachments

• DSC00082a.jpg
    DSC00082a.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 1,106
  • DSC00079.JPG
    DSC00079.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 1,106
First, why change the pump on that new of a motor? If you are not running it out of the water, you should not have to replace the pup for 5 years or more. More engines and cars and boats are destroyed by someone doing things that need not to be done than motors that never get maintainance.

I have owned boats for 40 years and only replaced a water pump one time. Ever heard the term DON'T FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKE? Tinkerers are the demise of lots of things. It is nice to be able to work on your own stuff. But you need to learn when something actually needs attention.

When it stops peeing it is usually a blockage in the tell tail. Thats it. Were any of the fins missing on the impeller?

No the impeller looked ok, but I had already tore the impeller assembly down and ordered a new one. I put the new one in. Simple really, but I forgot the one casket and had to repeat the the process. It went back together as easy it came apart. I ran the motor for about 2 min in a barrel and it pumped water great.

That's was when I noticed water pumping thru that hole I never noticed before. I just don't know enough about the motor to know what the hole does or if the water coming out was normal.

Thanks

DJW

It's possible that it's supposed to come out of that "hole" your talking about. I'm just trying to figure out where your talking about?
Did you try YouTube? Sometimes they show the exact motor running.

Would it be possible for you to get some closer photos? Thanks!
Without the photos I can tell you that the bulk of the water that goes through the engine is dumped inside the exhaust housing. This water can have a drain tube such as the one pictured.
There are several drains in housings that are either submerged or any housing that can trap water. These drains protect those housings during freezing weather so you will see water draining from several areas that you may not think should be there. This is perfectly normal.
What comes from your overboard indicator hose is just a fraction of what is used to cool the powerhead.

https://youtu.be/f-ToqpCf-_s
Does this help...think I seen a little water coming from where your talking about.
Sorry wrong link....look below
Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Zum said:
https://youtu.be/f-ToqpCf-_s
Does this help...think I seen a little water coming from where your talking about.

https://youtu.be/kIkdfoeLhx0

Attention Pappy: Here are some edited photos. I put very bad black arrows pointing towards hole. It's just getting dark so new pictures will have to wait.

Thanks for your interest and any help.

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,001
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,001
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,001
On tapatalk it shows the video, but regular forums just the link....my tablet switches by Itself?
You might not have noticed before because like mentioned it may be submerged at times when running.

Looks like you have an answer. I will add that I think my Mercury (Tohatsu) does the same thing. I can confirm but not till later as I have a doc appt and a few errands this morning.

On the subject of maintenance, my owners manual says to replace the impeller every 300 hours or 3 years, whichever comes first. In my case the 300 hours will come first. I agree it probably will not need replacement, but I will be guided by what the MFG says. Going a step further, the manual says to "check" the impeller at 100 hours. To me, if you are going to the trouble of opening it up, you might as well replace it. I tend to be on the cautious side when dealing with stuff like this.

Update: Mine is a 25 HP so a little different config. The bottom yoke (swivel bracket) shown in your photos as right below the black arrow is above the shift rod joint/couple on my outboard. I hope that makes some sense. There is a small port just above that yoke on my outboard. You wouldn't really notice it except that it that drains water while the engine is running.

Latest posts