New Impeller Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolic

Reaction score
Hi

I just had my 77 Evinrude 70 hp worked on and I had the impeller changed.

The new and the old impeller were completely different.

The old rubber impeller was warped.

9fa6068dec3b1d50954790247304493e.jpg

How long does an impeller last before you need to change it? I just want to know how often I should be changing it.

Thanks

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you don't have anything but nubs in there you really have gotten your moneys worth. Personally, I don't care if they look like new. I rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks so I guess a replacement every other season is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The impeller can develop a "memory" of sorts, where the blades get stuck in a bent back position. The cup that the impeller rides in is off center of the shaft. This lets one or more of the impeller's blades (that have developed a memory) to lose contact with the cup, which lets water leak past, and reduces the impeller's ability to move water.

That's why they need to be replaced every so often. Once a year inspect, I try to make it a point to just replace it every other year. Usually at replacement time I'm seeing cracks in the base of the blades. Once a blade breaks off, it's junk-and it wouldn't surprise me to see a motor overheat because of it. When the blade breaks, it usually ends up in either the water tube or the powerhead-hopefully in the thermostat area. where it's easy to fish it out.

The manual for my omc says the pump goes from posi displacement to centrifugal operation when the vanes lift. Which adds nothing to this thread I guess..

Latest posts