30hp Yamaha 3cyl 2 stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomme boy

Reaction score
Anyone else have one of these? I LOVE these motors. They have so much torque it is unreal. Hopefully I'm going Monday to pick up another one to have as a spare. It really bites as they are still made for other countries. Just not the USA or Canada.

If I get the other one I think that one I am going to mod it a little bit. Already have a intake and 40 Tohatsu carbs. I also have a friend with a blown up 40hp Yamaha, I think I might set up the 40 lower to work on the 30. It will give me a bunch of options for props over the 30hp lower unit. It is an 1987 40 so it should work with re-splining the input shaft and modifying the shift linkage. I am still learning what can be done with this motor.

I have to talk to the guys at Hydrotech before I start tearing into it though. I might just bring the motor to them and let them set it up. I'd like to get 45hp or so out of it and keep it a little bit reliable.

Had one around 15 years ago, wanted bigger boat a motor so got rid of it....wish I had kept it.
Like you say all kinds of get up and go,a perfect motor for a 16' aluminum. They come up once an awhile so does the 40hp but it is quite a bit heavier. I never modded it, wasn't any need to with a home made fiberglass jon...thing only weighed 200 lbs.

Would love to buy one of these motors new.Wonder if you could get this motor imported disassembled as "parts"?

Heading tomorrow to pick up another one. $200!!!!! It is a remote and electric start. Carbs need rebuilt. Has 115 lbs on all 3 cyl so it should be good after I rebuild the carbs. And a new water pump. Guy says it will run if you spray gas into the carbs. SO that is good!

I think I am going to take the electric start off and put it on my motor. I'll have to get a push button for the starter but thats it.

Latest posts