Tore Up My Prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwonbass

Reaction score
Tore up my prop today. I was running down the river a few miles to run some gas out of the tank. I slowed down to turn around to head back up and I heard a sound that made me think the motor was finally giving up. I took it out of gear just as another boat came over to check on me. Very cool of him to stop. So he said it sounded like a shifting problem. So I put it back in gear and all of the sudden the sound goes away and the motor is smooth again. At this point he says I better make a run for it and I agree! So off I go and decide to keep it around 20 MPH and listen for problems. No issues and the motor ran fine for the rest of the day.
Now, from the time I left the ramp in the morning I had to turn the wheel a little to keep the boat straight. I just rebuilt my console and had the helm and cable apart so thought maybe I had something not aligned properly or too much free play in the wheel.
I eventually can't take the heat anymore and decide to call it a day and load the boat back up and go home. It wasn't until I lowered my motor in the driveway that I noticed a hole where my zinc anode bolt should be and just below that a chewed up prop.
The thing must have been hanging there jammed into my prop. The good news is my 1994 25 HP Mercury is still a beast and running like a top and I don't have any more damage that to two hunks of metal I have to replace. That motor will push my boat 25 MPH so I was surprised that on the way back I was able to get up to 20 MPH easily.
Just thought I would share.

Dump and strain your gear lube thru a cheese cloth and look for metal debris.