Outboard Timing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rktman

Reaction score
Fairly newb question, but I need to check the timing on my 00 Johnson 25 3 cyl and my 96 Johnson 40 2 cyl (both jet motors).
As I understand it, I need to mark the correct degree setting on the flywheel and then use a timing light to check with the clamp on the #1 cylinder, with it opened up to WOT (at the boat dock on trailer seems to make the most sense).
Does that sound correct? I've checked timing on cars and trucks but never on an outboard.

Its not that bad to do on the water underway if you do it early in the morning on glass smooth water and with a buddy. Just wear your pfd.

wmk0002 said:
Its not that bad to do on the water underway if you do it early in the morning on glass smooth water and with a buddy. Just wear your pfd.
I agree ... I would not do it without the boat moving either. With a special OEM test wheel? Yes, I've done them that way, but note it still pushes a lot of water ...

I admit I once timed a 225hp OB whilst hanging off or onto the narrow transom bracket step on the boat, as full-width brackets were in vogue then ... post-Gil bracket days and pre-Armstrong bracket days. I'll also admit that I was tied to the boat so I couldn't fall out ... (she was a screamer, she was!)

We did it early in the am so we also could see better in the low light conditions, i.e., the timing light flash, besides having ideal flat azz calm conditions.

Open water timing adjustment could be fun but a little dangerous for my river, lol.

Timing an outboard by the book is a cluster. I trim the motor all the way down to get some drag and to reduce RPM. Run it like this at WOT. Tweek the adjustment screw in 1/8 turn increments to get the most rpm or mph while under the slight extra load. To much adjustment will slow you down and too little will as well. Find your happy place in the middle. It works a treat and you can usually pick up some low end grunt and top end speed. Don't expect dramatic changes so be diligent, go slow and take notes.

Latest posts