Idle adjustment screw?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitetailhntr

Reaction score
I'm haveing low idle problems and have to rev the motor in neutral and transition into drive just to get going. Is this the idle adjustment screw? The model #is VE40tlenm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4a526907593de2c7c88b9860f04dd93d.jpg

That is the mixture screw as stated previously, but just turning it won't necessarily improve your idle. This mixture screw is to improve the fuel to air ratio at lower speeds. It will not adjust your idle speed correctly.

The idle screw is actually closer to the flywheel, just under the timing plate linkage:
Evinrude Idle adjustment.jpg

Adjust this first. Once the idle is high enough to keep the motor running on it's own, you can begin to adjust the mixture screw. If the motor is beginning to slow down on it's own, it's running rich. Turn the screw inward in small adjustments (1/4 turn) and wait a few seconds. If the idle increases, then adjust again. If it starts sneezing/coughing, then turn it back out by 1/4 turn.

Do this for both mixture screws in the upper and lower carbs.

Good luck!

kofkorn said:
That is the mixture screw as stated previously, but just turning it won't necessarily improve your idle. This mixture screw is to improve the fuel to air ratio at lower speeds. It will not adjust your idle speed correctly.

The idle screw is actually closer to the flywheel, just under the timing plate linkage:

Adjust this first. Once the idle is high enough to keep the motor running on it's own, you can begin to adjust the mixture screw. If the motor is beginning to slow down on it's own, it's running rich. Turn the screw inward in small adjustments (1/4 turn) and wait a few seconds. If the idle increases, then adjust again. If it starts sneezing/coughing, then turn it back out by 1/4 turn.

Do this for both mixture screws in the upper and lower carbs.

Good luck!

Thankyou, will the mixture screws be turned in the same amounts?

If the carbs were brand new, probably. Once they have been aged a bit, the adjustments will vary. Any significant changes (more than one full turn either direction) are usually an indication that you need to do a full carb clean because the jets are getting clogged.

As a reference, the starting point for the mixture adjustment is 1 1/2 turns out from a gently seated position. Don't tighten the mixture screw down, you'll either damage the needle or the seat. Gentle seat then 1 1/2 turns out. From there you can adjust per my previous post.

Good luck!

I only adjust idle with the motor in a tub or in the water. The waters back pressure on the exhaust is part of the equation.

nowgrn4 said:
I only adjust idle with the motor in a tub or in the water. The waters back pressure on the exhaust is part of the equation.

Thanks

Latest posts