Shear pins for outboard - do I need spares?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-CN-

Reaction score
I have an old-timer fishing buddy who has been insisting I need to carry a spare shear pin for my Mercury 8hp outboard. I grew up with boats in the family and had never heard of such a thing. Yes, I know what a shear pin is and what it does, but never heard of people carrying spares for outboard motors with them at all times. While I'm a younger guy, and new to having my own boat and motor, I wonder if that's yet one more thing that I've learned I don't know. #-o I've been searching ebay and such for clues as to whether or not this is a thing, and I've come up empty. Is my old friend trying to tell me something that he is just personally paranoid about but isn't really a thing? Or do I really need to get my hands on some spare shear pins because that's just normal boating operation?

A friend gave me an old 80s Evinrude 2hp. It had a bit of electrician's tape around the handle halfway down which I ignored for several years. The other day I happened to look at the handle from an odd angle. Inside the elecrician's tape was.....? a spare shear pin.

assuming you are talking about prop shear pins.

they are cheap, small, and easy to store.

YES !! you need spares !!!

I remember puttering back to the landing with a phillips head screwdriver
in the prop shear pin hole tied on with fishing string - - - wishing I had a spare pin.

Get the shear pin (X2) and keep them on the boat. My outboard , old honda, had a rubber strap on the motor that held 2 spare shear pins.
Cheap insurance and I suggest you get real shear pins, not use something else that may or may not shear when needed.
Of course you will need some basic tools to install the shear pin, so keep those on the boat too.
Tim

If you don't carry one you will sure be hoping that you have a big hook and a set of pliers to cut it to get you by to you can get in and get a proper replacement one day.

Used to always carry spares in the tackle box. After being away from boating for almost 30 years, I bought a new tin boat last year. I asked the guy about spare shear pins and he just looked at me like I was nuts.

Thank you all for assuring me that I need to seek them out. I will get some ASAP.
So if I ask for some at the marina that services my boat they won't look at me like I'm nuts then?

-CN- said:
Thank you all for assuring me that I need to seek them out. I will get some ASAP.
So if I ask for some at the marina that services my boat they won't look at me like I'm nuts then?

If they think you are nuts I wouldn't use thier services.

I agree with the posts above, spares are good to have, just like a fire extinguisher and other safety and replacment item. You may never need it, but the moment you do you will be glad you have it.

I actually don't keep one but I just figured a hook would suffice. I always planned on getting spares but never did. I do keep a wrench and spare prop nut onboard though. And actually just recently bought a floating prop wrench with my newest prop so I can return my wrench to the toolbox finally.

-CN- said:

Guess I should have been clearer. Guy gave me the look because my new Merc prop doesn't use a shear pin. Uses a plastic hub instead. Not sure when they stopped using them but think it has been a while.

I have older (50's) motors. I carry spare(s) for all of them...especially the old 3 hp on the back of the square stern canoe (Golden Hawk).

There's nothing quite so comforting as knowing you have replacement pins when your engine hits a sunken log or other debris and you notice you no longer have any momentum.

It IS however, a pain in the tail to have it happen in a steep banked river, especially if the rare low spot in the embankment is saturated mud.

Worst case, you can cut a few aluminum nails to the right size, but they should only be last-ditch use (well, maybe before a fishing hook or a phillips screw driver,) but just a little before. Buy the right shear pins.

Also have needle-nosed pliers for the cotter pin, and possibly a small adjustable wrench, although I've always been able to tighten the nut with my fingers to the point where the hole in the nut and the drive shaft align.

Be safe, have fun.

Latest posts