Big Twin outboard fresh air supply

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaugh

Reaction score
I've been rebuilding a 58 35hp. I've noticed that the shroud is a completely air tight cap. Even the throttle lever is sealed up around it with a rubber gasket.

Where is the fresh air coming from ? Down through the exhaust housing that is right at the waterline with all that exhaust bubbling around it ? Seems like a strange way to design an efficient motor... does anyone have some insight ? Wondering if I might be helping or hurting by leaving out the rubber seal around the throttle lever:

IMG_1751.JPG

in the bottom front of the cowl - there is a round cover
and under it is a perforated aluminum disk that holds
the foam air cleaner in place. if the foam is missing,
you can fabricate one out of any foam that can let air pass through.
such as the foam air filter in your shop vac. (preferably fuel resistant).
if the metal cover itself is missing, you can make a new one out of a tuna can.
air supply.jpg
377518-SHROUD-GROUP.gif

Ahh... I get it... I thought that was some sort of noise control damper ..... all makes sense now....

the foam in my motor's air cleaner fell apart when I took it out.
I cut a replacement out of some packing foam I had on hand that breathes quite well.
anything that will keep the trash and bugs out. I would keep all seals in place.
just like the oil and air filter in your car, it needs periodic cleaning or replacement.

My first motor this size... As you probably can tell... yep... will seal it up... Thanks

I owe you a six pack for that... you undoubtedly saved me a long angry day at the lake trying to figure out why it ran great in a barrel without the hood...

Mine was a totally saturated mat of fiberglass.. obviously never been touched in 59 years..

IMG_1760.JPG

Johnny said:
I think that the KUDOS should be passed to Jim for starting this forum.
so so so many people have learned so much from each other that it boggles the mind.

in my signmaking world, we have a motto:
see one = learn one = teach one.

glad I could help :beer:

No kidding! What are the chances of getting an answer about a 60 year old motor within 20 minutes of posting by someone with the SAME motor?

Latest posts