1969 35ho johnson prop issue-

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luigirox

Reaction score
I have 1969 25hp Johnson - I spun the prop I believe. High rpms no go. I could not find the hub parts So I purchase a replacement. It goes about 1/2-3/4 the way on and stops. I cant push it on. The that was on there goes on and off easily.
No sure if this common-
I validated I purchased the correct replacement.

Any help would be great.

Doesn't that year OMC have a shear pin? If it does and the broken piece is still in the shaft, that may be what is keeping the new prop from going all the way on the shaft. If the old prop is not badly damaged keep it for a spare.

In 1969 that pin would be called a drive pin and is made of stainless steel.

It may be that the prop shaft is a little deformed around where the pin goes through it and needs a little shaping.

The prob should have a rubber hub that provides protection when striking objects. These hubs can slip and that is called a 'spun prop'.

Thanks guys I sent the new prop and original to the prop shop. I think the are going to look at the hubs.

I think the hub was not drilled out correctly on the prop only because it seemed to get stuck in the same spot if I tried to put it on backwards. I mean same spot on the prop. So 3/4 the way on normal 1/4 backwards.

We will see.

Latest posts