15hp on 16ft Lund deep V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oomph

Reaction score
How fast do you guys think that a 15HP 2 Stroke early 90's Evinrude can push a 16ft Deep V Lund?

If you're worried about speed, you already have your answer. However a 15 will plane that boat , not loaded to the max, but it will plane and run with 2 guys. Resort guy I know, rents 16 ft lunds with 15hp Yamahas. I have a 16' Naden, very similar to Lund, and have run a 20 and currently a 35. The real questions here are, Where are you fishing? How much weight are you carrying? If the furthest you go is a couple miles with you and a fishing buddy, the 15 is a great choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 give or take with a ten pitch prop if you can achieve proper rpm. If your trying to push a big load dropping to a 9 pitch really helps and still gives 17 mph or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, I just bought a 16ft Hull without the motor, and already have an old 15HP Evinrude in the garage. I'd rather use what I have for now. It's mostly going to be fished with myself and one other person. I plan on using it for short runs, less than 5 miles out on creeks and calm waters. I will eventually re-power it, since it is rated up to 45HP. I plan on restoring the boat over time.

The dry hull weight is 455 - Probably another 500 - 700 pounds between gear and passengers. (including lead acid batteries, cooler, trolling motor etc.)

What pitch prop would you guys suggest?

IMHO all this speculation of 'speed' is pointless ...

FWIW here are real numbers for a Merc 2-stroke 15hp pushing a 13' Alumacraft V-hull tim. Max speed, by 2 GPS units, reports 21MPH with only the operator on board, with 1/2-full 6-gallon tank, and a bow anchor.

There is no way a 15hp OB will push an even heavier 16' boat to greater speeds ...

I'm not looking to race in the thing, just wanted a rough idea. Thanks!

My guess would be 16-17mph.

My 1992 15hp Johnson pushes my 1648 alumacraft flatbottom about 18-19 mph with an 8" pitch prop at the top of the WOT range and 2 guys. Goes about 20 with a 10" prop and 2 guys but the rpms drop down to the lower 1/3 of the WOT range. My hull, however, only weighs about 300 lbs from the factory.

I'd get a tiny tach so you know you aren't lugging it and can re-prop it accordingly. My motor is a 1992 model and the factory recommended WOT range is 5500-7000 rpms (I know that seems high). Yours may be that as well. I recently bought a 4 blade 9" pitch Solas prop but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have read those work well on these small motors on tin boats.

@DaleH There is some legitimacy in knowing your speed capabilities. How quick I can get across the lake helps determine what size of lakes I get on and where I put on the lake.

I'll second the 16-17 mph.

I have a 2 stroke 25hp on a 16' mirrocraft that does 23mph on a good day with minimal load.

DiveLiberty said:
There is some legitimacy in knowing your speed capabilities. How quick I can get across the lake helps determine what size of lakes I get on and where I put on the lake.
I agree with that need 110% sir ... !

What I don't agree with is people proclaiming a 15hp will push a 16-foot V-hull w/ 2 people to 20mph :shock: ! Frankly, they're talking out their arse #-o ... whereas I posted 'real', by the numbers & verifed by 2 GPS units, data. :wink:

I once knew a guy who proclaimed his hull would hit 60mph ... I won the bet ... the ONLY way his hull would hit speeds of 60mph was whilst on a trailer on the freakin' highway, haha!

... some people cannot handle the truth ...

DaleH said:
DiveLiberty said:
There is some legitimacy in knowing your speed capabilities. How quick I can get across the lake helps determine what size of lakes I get on and where I put on the lake.
I agree with that need 110% sir ... !

What I don't agree with is people proclaiming a 15hp will push a 16-foot V-hull w/ 2 people to 20mph :shock: ! Frankly, they're talking out their arse #-o ... whereas I posted 'real', by the numbers & verifed by 2 GPS units, data. :wink:

I once knew a guy who proclaimed his hull would hit 60mph ... I won the bet ... the ONLY way his hull would hit speeds of 60mph was whilst on a trailer on the freakin' highway, haha!

... some people cannot handle the truth ...

Fair enough. At the end of the day, a small 2 stroke is a small 2 stroke. Expecting 20 mph when weighed down with decks and live wells is a lot to ask.

Latest posts