CD-12

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassoreno

Reaction score
Finally bought a boat...1974 Mirro Craft F/G tri-hull...It came with a 1969 Evinrude 9.5 which I traded for a 1955 Johnson 5 1/2 HP CD-12...Hoping this is a good motor, runs fine now...I'm told that every part is available from various sources...I wanted something old school and couldn't hack the plastic hood, etc on the 9.5... :roll:

I have several of these engines. The engine is bulletproof as long as you do your part. That particular engine should be run on a 20:1 mixture but certainly no less than a 24:1 mixture as it is a plain bearing engine. All tune up parts and water pump parts are still available. Use OEM when you can as they are the only parts kits that are complete and actually fit correctly. The old pressure tank parts are still available as well and are a very good tank to use.

My CD12 is one of the best motors I own.
It's my fishin motor for speed restricted lakes. It pushes
my 16' jon boat just fine.
Be generous on the oil and it will outlast you.
Good luck with it.

Steve A W

Yeah the guy I got it from, who only works on OMC motors from 2 to 25 hp and 1952 and up, said 24:1 is best...He said in the old days before the new 2 stroke oils were available it was recommended to use 16:1 with 30 weight oil...He also said some will use 50:1 but he would never try it...The motor does still have the old metal gas tank and the 2 line gas feed...Glad to hear people here have good experiences with the model... :mrgreen:

There is a plate that advances the timing that seems to have worn itself loose on mine. Has anyone experienced this? I haven't been able to find a replacement for it, I'm thinking about trying to even out the pivot hole and put a bushing on it to center it again, but right now it wobbles and makes holding an even idle a PITA.

Love that motor - it was my grandfather's & father's before me, and someday it'll be my son's. My first experience fishing was trolling off the back of our old row boat with that little motor chugging along.

The mechanic I bought mine from says he gets everything here...

https://www.timsoutboard.com/

I sure wish I had my grandfather's old motor but I dropped it in the lake many summers ago...It was a 1947 Firestone 3.6 hp...What memories I have of fishing with that outboard in the little 12' flat bottom wood boats we used back in the day...

onthewater102 said:
There is a plate that advances the timing that seems to have worn itself loose on mine. Has anyone experienced this? I haven't been able to find a replacement for it, I'm thinking about trying to even out the pivot hole and put a bushing on it to center it again, but right now it wobbles and makes holding an even idle a PITA.

Love that motor - it was my grandfather's & father's before me, and someday it'll be my son's. My first experience fishing was trolling off the back of our old row boat with that little motor chugging along.

Mag plates are plentiful for that engine. Go to www.aomci.org and advertise in there for one. You should get several replies.
Before doing this however you need to know that you may be able to simply tighten yours up. It is mounted to a bushing and the screws may need to be cleaned and tightened.

Finally got her out on the water today...Found out that even at a temp of 60 it needs a lot of choke...Then later when I shut it down in gear and then forgot and tried to start it that way I did a whole lot of cranking for nothing... :roll: Also discovered that it likes to run one click rich on both low and high speed jets and will run like gangbusters that way, midway it surges...I did some trolling and was impressed at how little smoke there was...Only really smokes on starting and accelerating...I'm very pleased with my 62 year old motor.. :)

Latest posts