Converting '71 6hp Johnson to Short Shaft - Water Tube Stuck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanpole

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm a new member but have been guesting on this site for a while.

I have a long shaft 6hp Johnson that came with a 1232 tracker jon boat that is a recent acquisition. The motor is a little rough so I'm going though everything to make it better. I decided to convert it back to short shaft (the model number is not for long shaft) so it fits the little boat. Only the drive shaft, shift rod connector and water tube need to be changed as well as a few twisted off bolts. My problem is the water tube. I cannot get it to budge. At the top where is goes into the grommet it appears to be oval, not round. no amount of pulling, twisting or wobbling has had any effect.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Kerry

Might have to pull the powerhead to remove the tube from the top of the part it goes threw or maybe just use a tubing cutter to remove 5 inches from it while its sticking out of the exhaust housing?

Thanks for the reply.

I thought about pulling the power head but right now it will be last resort. If I cut the tube shorter at the bottom I don't think I will be able to make the offset bends to line up with the water pump. The tube would be all up inside the exhaust housing and the shift rod is in there too.

I squirted some penetrating oil up where it goes into the grommet. I'll try again in a couple of days.

Kerry

Might have to pull it then anyway-if its that hard to get out how do you plan on getting it back in? If like mine the end is flared and there is that grommet so powerhead must come off to remove the copper tube.

Hadn't thought of the tube being flared at the top. Everything I've read so far seems to indicate that they were pushed into the grommet from below.

I guess the powerhead is coming off as soon as the gear case is cleaned up and reassembled.

Thanks

Latest posts