Power tilt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newellri

Reaction score
I have a new 20 hp Merc without power tilt. My question is can it be added after. I am having to pull up motor in shallow water in my 70's it is difficult. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes it is cheaper to sell the Non-tilting motor and buy a Tilted motor.

Or, you could try one of these "Tilt-assist" devices.
gar-71035-2__81808.1469113744.1280.1280.jpg

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/garelick-curved-outboard-motor-tilter.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwub7NBRDJARIsAP7wlT9cQalGiqUuxELagIfC9XdEVy_py9ICST2V5I-Oq29bmcadk7Y-T-waAqdsEALw_wcB

I'm also in my 70's and wouldn't want to tilt any outboard these days.

richg99

You would need to research your specific motor to see if there was a power tilt option and if so find the correct part #'s. My 60/45 jet was manual tilt which I did for a year and then I found a brand new PTT setup on Ebay for $409 shipped. It retailed for over $1000 I think but if you take your time searching around you might be able to find something affordable. The CMC setup might be your best bet if Mercury doesn't offer it.

Check this out - fairly simple to do using a Lenco trim tab actuator with a 4" travel:

NOTE - it's not strong enough for power trim adjustments while under power, but that's not what you're asking for

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zr5efT3xo30

Great idea on using the Lenco.

I owned a NMZ Gheenoe a few years back. The original owner fashioned his own light-weight electric Jackplate using a Lenco actuator.

richg99

onthewater102 said:
Check this out - fairly simple to do using a Lenco trim tab actuator with a 4" travel:

NOTE - it's not strong enough for power trim adjustments while under power, but that's not what you're asking for

Neither is the factory PT assembly that came on those Tohatsu/Merc/Nissan 20hp models. It's tilt ONLY, will not trim with any more than about 1/4 throttle.