Stuck lower unit on a 25hp evenrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Nicholls

Reaction score
I picked up an 81' 25 hp Evenrude and I'm going to have to reseal the lower unit on it. Trouble is the previous owner didn't grease the stud and now it's my problem. It's very corroded and won't budge I've tried penetrating oil and I'm having no luck. Any great ideas from the experts? Thanks, Kevin

Heat, lube, tap it with hammer and repeat. That heat will drive the penetrating oil in and expand the metal to bust it loose. May take a few tries over a few days. Local machine shops can remove it you break it fairly cheap. Good luck.. That's a frustrating thing to deal with but you can usually get them loose.

Kevin Nicholls said:
I picked up an 81' 25 hp Evenrude and I'm going to have to reseal the lower unit on it. Trouble is the previous owner didn't grease the stud and now it's my problem. It's very corroded and won't budge I've tried penetrating oil and I'm having no luck. Any great ideas from the experts? Thanks, Kevin

Is this a salt motor?

Oxy/Acetylene is the preferred method for getting enough heat into an aluminum casting. Mapp gas....maybe.
If this is the 20" version there is a bunch of area to corrode. Try and pull the gearcase and the extension, not just the gearcase if it is the 20".Put the nut back onto the end of the threads on the stud to drive it downward.
With the rest of the bolts loose and plenty of heat on the area you can also twist the gearcase a few degrees. This may help. Wear gloves!
At least try and get the gearcase/extension down far enough to cut the stud if you don't think you can remove it.
When you do get it off and re-sealed use a good marine grease on the entire bolt and stud shank, not just the threads. Go heavy on it.
If you are in salt water use a teflon thread sealant instead of grease. Tef-Gel works well for example. Stays longer and better than grease.

Thanks fellas for the help. A couple of hours of heat and beat did the trick. It will be greased correctly when it goes back on. It needs a reseal on the lower unit. It's the two piece type of lower, it doesn't look to terrible. Thanks again, I've looked at this site for awhile and will try to participate more.