1989 Suzuki 30 advice please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altitude

Reaction score
hi all
a local fellow has a DT30 1989 for
$300.
Tomorrow evening I am going to see it. Is there
anything common that I should look out for? He claims it needs a carb cleaning and it has a new impeller.
Corrosion is one of my concerns.Would anyone have any more advice?
I was told these are good outboards so this may be worth the gamble.
thanks

If it is a DT-30 I believe that would be 3 carbs to clean. They are strong motors, depending on where you are located parts can be something you won't run down the street and pick up. I had a 94 and it was great motor but the carbs are super sensitive and you have to have them right.

ThX!

from what I've been reading online these are pretty good motors. This will be a light project motor and a learning experience for me.

I don't know what year they went to 3 cyl but if it is it will be strong. They were good motors if treated decent.

pic of discolored head...is this really bad?

Attachments

• 20170927_175627.jpg
    20170927_175627.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,733
Altitude said:
pic of discolored head...is this really bad?
Does it have a new head gasket on it? That looks like someone may have applied heat to some stuck bolts possibly.

yes looks like the tstat was changed.

Did a compression test today with a cheap tester.
seems a bit high but what do I know.
Removed the oil tank this evening gonna go with mixed fuel.

BTW thanks for the feedback NCCATFISHER!

That is about correct compression for that engine. They were pretty high. Removing the oil injection on those is a matter of choice, they didn't give much trouble.

I bet it's higher compression I can barely pull
fast enough to turn it over. shot some
lube in the cylinders and I can hardly get a turn over.
ugh..

Altitude said:
ugh..
Do you have the plugs out of the other cylinders when you are running the compression test?

nccatfisher said:
Altitude said:
ugh..
Do you have the plugs out of the other cylinders when you are running the compression test?
vy

yes spark plugs were out when I did test.Spoke to a fellow this evening who recommended warming the cylinders with a heat gun.
I'm going to try some seafoam full strength maybe some crud or something. With high compression numbers like that I'd rather not tear into the motor until I have to.

I am somewhat confused. With the lower unit out of gear and only compression on one cylinder (checking compression) I can't understand how the engine would be that hard to turn. If it is you have issues somewhere, possibly serious ones.

no no
easy to pull with no spark plugs in but it's tough with all 3 plugs in.
Lubing it up doesn't seem to help either.

NCcatfisher thanks again!
I'm thinking pull mechanism under load.
May just take off head and see what's going on.
Gonna start welding nuts on the head bolts now..lol

Get yourself if you dont have one a 60-70lb pull archery bow and start those exercises. A month or so and you will be easily able to pull it over with authority.

Sinkingfast said:
Get yourself if you dont have one a 60-70lb pull archery bow and start those exercises. A month or so and you will be easily able to pull it over with authority.

What a great idea for an exercise machine....
hey wait a minute........?

Ok I have an update on this wonderful Suzuki DT30C.

Finally Got the `hard pull`figured out. Removed the rewind and installed a new cord,rewound spring and torqued it all on to spec.
Its an armfull put I can get it spun over.

I cant get the `suzuki `manual as its backordered 4-6weeks so that means after xmas.
If anyone has one for sale please let me know.

thx again

Latest posts