Johnson 4.0 Find

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverLife

Reaction score
Hit an estate sale this week and found a nice little Johnson 4hp. It looks like new and is all original right down to the spark plugs. Bought it as a little flip project. I checked the water pump, carb, and plugs. Everything looked great and didn't need to be taken apart. I put it back together and put some fresh fuel to it. Darn thing started on first pull and runs like a dream. Idles down nice and is a little cream puff of a motor.

Thinking I should have bought the other motor the guy had as well. Think it was an old sea king.This one doesn't look like it ever saw the water. Funny how people buy things and they never get used. One day only sale. Whatever didn't get sold hit the dumpster then they were off to Florida in search of better weather.

Anyone have an idea what I should ask for it?

Attachments

• Johnny.jpg
    Johnny.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 735
If it's as clean as you say then take pics of the skeg, prop and under cowl. On Craigslist ask 475 and it will sell. Might take a day or two weeks is all. There are allways dicks asking much more but I buy and flip them way cheaper and theirs are still there. I buy them if I think I can make 125 plus and are not too far away. A pic of it running with water coming out seems to help because you can say it's lake ready. I do it for fun and have met great people. I stick with those small Johnson's and Evinrudes because the rest are expensive junk that are a pita if they need work. I flipped 5 this season with one little 2 hp I think I'll keep for fun or a square back canoe if I find one.

You should go back and do some dumpster diving! I know where I'd be. Very nice looking find by the way. I'm partial to engines with a little more HP just so it's easier to plane out but hell, a cream puff is a cream puff!

Traded it for a 22 rifle and a crispy new 50 dollar bill.

I had 45 bucks invested. I'm happy and off to the range with my boy.

Will be out for more of these for sure.

Latest posts