Rebuild or part out 1990 Mariner 50

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLK79

Reaction score
I'm not a mechanic...OK thats out of the way. However the one I went to said to scrap this thing. I wanted to get y'alls opinion on that advice.

50hp, 3 cyl, 2 stroke, compression is uneven and I don't know off the top of my head what it is (ill find it later)

sat upright for 2-3 years after I bought it.

Got it started, smoked real bad..

Mechanic says these are terrible engines and I should replace.

The budget is not in the "new motor"ball park currently. Opinions appreciated...

Attachments

• boat home.JPG
    boat home.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 967
  • IMG_3224.JPG
    IMG_3224.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 967
Could be just stuck rings. A simple re-ring job, a few gaskets carbs cleaned and new water pump and lube and it may run a long time. You won't know to you tear it down and look and mic. it. Those motors weren't that bad. That being said it isn't exactly a novice job either.

Your mechanic might be speaking out of a personal bias on that - I've heard nothing but praise towards those motors with one caveat - that being the automatic oiling system was more of a liability than it was worth and that you were safest removing it and mixing the oil in the gas in the tank.

I might be a bit biased though too - I've got an '88 60hp that I'm restoring.

Might not be a bad idea to talk to another mechanic. Even dealers who won't service it can recommend other guys. Most dealers around here won't work on smaller hp motors for some reason. Or maybe they only work on newer ones.

Unless they are crazy uneven, at least try a good decarb first. Sometimes ignition systems can be bad and have weak spark on one cylinder or carbs can run the top cylinder lean or something and cause carbon to build up unevenly and make rings stick and give uneven readings.

Latest posts