1994 Johnson 30HP vs 35HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renn90

Reaction score
Hi, new to this great site.

Looking at the '94 Johnson 30HP and 35HP motor parts lists, I can't find any difference in parts.

Does anyone know what makes the 35 a 35 as opposed to the 30?

I've had a tin for over 17 years, but just now getting very into boating and fishing now that my son is 11.

If I recall correctly it was a different carb or jet and a different intake body - but that may have been differences between the 25 and 30/35...

onthewater102 said:
If I recall correctly it was a different carb or jet and a different intake body - but that may have been differences between the 25 and 30/35...

Thanks on the water,

That is definitely the case between 20HP, 25HP and 30HP. However, according to boats.net and Crowley, the parts you refer to are the same with the the 30HP and the 35HP (unless I'm missing something). Could it be something like timing?

Nada doesn't show a 35hp in '94. I read somewhere it's the same motor but at some point they had to measure the hp at the prop instead of the powerhead (or maybe the reverse?) so they had to change the decal to be more accurate.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1994/Johnson/Outboard-Motors

water bouy said:
Nada doesn't show a 35hp in '94. I read somewhere it's the same motor but at some point they had to measure the hp at the prop instead of the powerhead (or maybe the reverse?) so they had to change the decal to be more accurate.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1994/Johnson/Outboard-Motors

****, looks like you're correct Bouy,

Checked brochures from 1992 through 1996, and they don't show a standard 2-stroke 35, although they show 35s in jet in a couple of years. seems odd that the parts suppliers clearly list 35HP variations for all the typical differences on 20HP through 35HP.

Any thoughts regarding 35 ratings on jet motors?

From what I gather jet motors are a whole lot bigger/heavier per hp. I think it's hard to beat the older 2 stroke motors for weight and price and service.

The 35 jet is a 50hp powerhead.

The actual 35 motor is really a 30. 35 was rated at the powerhead not at the prop like they do now.

The horsepower ratings changed from crankshaft ratings to propshaft ratings around 1984. This effectively levelled the playing field between the big engine companies.
Horsepower had to be within 10% + or - of the number placed on the model number placard.

Pappy said:
The horsepower ratings changed from crankshaft ratings to propshaft ratings around 1984. This effectively levelled the playing field between the big engine companies.
Horsepower had to be within 10% + or - of the number placed on the model number placard.

Thanks Pappy

Maybe Johnson produced a 1994 35HP outside the US. Even Sierra lists a 35 through 1994.
Evinrude brochure from 1994 doesn't show a 35HP (as is the case with the Johnson brochure).

Should have elaborated a bit further...my bad.
The later 30hp engines and the earlier 35hp engines produced the same horsepower at the propshaft. You are good to go on your 30hp.
I have a 1998 30hp Evinrude that is about as close to new as you can get. I bought it a couple years ago and had to finish the initial break-in
on the engine. Of course I changed the impeller and fuel lines out due to age and checked the engine thoroughly but it is a fine running and great
performing engine.

Latest posts