tiller handle extensions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
Got one I forgot about and it could solve a problem. I was thinking of moving the gas can forward to balance the load but it would be easier to move myself forward and sit near the middle bench. This one is adjustable length and marked Twist-Lok and it has a u-joint. Any horror stories about these? I suppose it could take away some of the vibration too which would be nice.

If you are going to set that far forward how are you going to change from forward to reverse when maneuvering? You may should have kept the remote stuff on it and just made it stick steer.

I'll see how it sits first and try the extension later. My one boat with remote steer didn't have a lot of room for it's size and weight. This 40 hp only came with the control wire so it would have been a job to set it up that way, plus I think tiller motors are easier to sell.

I have the equipment to make my own extensions and have found it necessary to do so 3-4 times. Usually older motors have shorter tillers. If you put aftermarket T&T on them you inadvertently wind up having to twist around to use the OEM tiller. If you buy one then the thing is a mile too long. Depending on the motor you may or may not have to do something about the shifter depending on how it is positioned.

I sure was glad to see the newer ones come out with all that on the tiller and longer tillers.

Yeah I'd like to have one of those newer types but they're more than I could ever swing. I'm going to do a homeboy shift lever like on a newer Evinrude. The tiller extension will be a trial and error thing whenever I get the boat ready for the water. It's been on the back burner the last couple of months.

Yeah, it is a pretty simple task to get them up to the front of the engine on that Mariner.