A satisfactory gas can

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaFaring

Reaction score
Like most people, I hate modern gas cans. The new nozzles that are supposed to control spills and emissions are usually so clumsy that they create spills instead.

That said, my 3.5 Johnson will only run for an hour on its internal tank, so I pretty much have to carry extra fuel with me. I skipped over the big box store gas cans and first tried an Eagle MFG. steel can. This wasn’t successful - the paint started flaking off almost immediately and it was hard to tell how much fuel was left. Finally, the first time I tried to refuel at anchor, I spilled a couple ounces of fuel because it was hard to control the flow into the small internal tank - not acceptable. I decided a plastic can was in order.

Next I tried this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W72GBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cPCbAb52SYBNA. You know what? It works! The auto shut off feature actually functions and refueling while on the water is much easier.

Now I have the Eagle can for mixing batches of uniform size, and I take the No-Spill can out with me.

While I haven’t used this enough to determine how long lived the can will be, my first impression is very positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the solution to the modern gas can problem.... works flawlessly..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-POUR-40051-HI-FLO-Universal-Replacement-Water-Gas-Spout-Vent-Kit-/201344366812?hash=item2ee10f38dc

I have one of these that I use to store / transport boat gas: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BYN26H6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is excellent. It's like a big, thick milk container, and is transparent enough that you can easily see how much gas remains. The big hose makes it very fast to fill, and the corrugation on the bottom makes it easy to hold while pouring.

It is for offroad use only, so it is technically not approved for transport or filling at a gas station. It is built better than any plastic gas can I have ever seen, so I will take my chances.

I wish they sold smaller versions.

A little pricey but another solution

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
d5a195a2fd8008adbce0b136c1b0d603.jpg

schukster said:
A little pricey but another solution

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
d5a195a2fd8008adbce0b136c1b0d603.jpg

I like that. If I were using cans larger than 2.5 gallons, I’d use something like that.

SeaFaring said:
Like most people, I hate modern gas cans. The new nozzles that are supposed to control spills and emissions are usually so clumsy that they create spills instead.

That said, my 3.5 Johnson will only run for an hour on its internal tank, so I pretty much have to carry extra fuel with me. I skipped over the big box store gas cans and first tried an Eagle MFG. steel can. This wasn’t successful - the paint started flaking off almost immediately and it was hard to tell how much fuel was left. Finally, the first time I tried to refuel at anchor, I spilled a couple ounces of fuel because it was hard to control the flow into the small internal tank - not acceptable. I decided a plastic can was in order.

Next I tried this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W72GBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cPCbAb52SYBNA. You know what? It works! The auto shut off feature actually functions and refueling while on the water is much easier.

Now I have the Eagle can for mixing batches of uniform size, and I take the No-Spill can out with me.

While I haven’t used this enough to determine how long lived the can will be, my first impression is very positive.

I have 2 of these for a couple years now and NO issues whatsoever so far. Love mine because it works as advertised. :beer:

SeaFaring said:

I have this same no-spill can in the 1.25 gallon size. Got it at my local Ace Hardware store. I agree it actually does work well. I have a 3 gallon portable tank on the boat. I can troll for half a day on a gallon or less. However, I am starting to go places with longer run times to fishing areas. Result is I am using more gaso. Having a spare gallon gives just a little piece of mind.

Gasolene is a huge part of life and I haul extra jugs of it frequently. All cans including race jugs suck except for Scepter MFC cans. They are military and not commonly available in stores. You can throw them out of a truck and it won't hurt them or use them as a pillow because not a single fume escapes. I've got 11 of them for use with other toys and bring them on the boat.
Cry once and enjoy a life time of gas that stays fresh, never smells of gas fumes and safe from explosion even in a wreck. You can find 10L or 2.5 gallon cans as well and never spill or smell raw gas again.
I use mine for boat, tractor, sand rail and zombi storage so I need real jugs. If you handle gas jugs more than a few times a year then invest in a real can.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scepter-Field-Drab-Green-Jerry-Cans-Gas-Fuel-Military-MFC-5gal-JEEP-20l-ARMY/263286459828?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3Dc22945d1ef964a95ac720c81747e4179%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D263220071506&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598