Outboard not flush with transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carphunter

Reaction score
As I hope you guys can see in the photo my motor does not fit square on my transom. Any remedies short
of a jack plate? Grumman 1449LW, 1980-81 Mercury 25HPIMG_20171111_191503878.jpg

If you are talking about it not setting down flat on it that is due to the angle of the transom. They differ, that isn't uncommon at all.

Yes nccatfisher, that is what I was referring to. Does this present a problem?
New boat to me, new build. Also my cavitation plate sits 2 inches below the stern.

Throw a block of wood or strip of plywood under it and run it as high as you can without ventilation/cavitation and without compromising the ability of the clamps from doing their job. That mismatch angle you see is common.

Of no concern at all.
Sitting "flush" on the transom only means the top of the transom takes a bit more of the engine weight which is basically a non-issue.
The Thrust load of the engine is the main concern. A bunch more thrust is created than engine weight. Make sure you have a soft surface on the rear of the transom for the brackets do dig into and that your clamp screws are tight.
If the brackets are designed with screw holes so that you can drill through the transom and secure the engine then do that as well.

Thanks guys, I guess I'm good! New impeller and misc parts for motor coming next week. I will be posting my build progress on the modifications page.

Latest posts