1973 evinrude 25hp water pump question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sljohnson

Reaction score
I have a 1973 25 hp evinrude that I thought I would put a new water pump impeller in. Some things seemed unusual while I was pulling it appart. Is the no seal on top of the pump housing to seal the drive shaft? Also there where no gaskets anywhere is this normal? I’ve been wondering why this thing won’t pump water with the muffs hooked up it appears to drawn water from two locations see photo below. Is the only way to run this motor on land to put it in a bucket? Please help!

Attachments

• CB00A886-746D-4471-A764-6232BF0D6577.jpeg
    CB00A886-746D-4471-A764-6232BF0D6577.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 943
  • 31E9D638-8080-47E4-9956-633F5DF48709.jpeg
    31E9D638-8080-47E4-9956-633F5DF48709.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 943
Parts diagram shows no gaskets and only an o-ring at the top of the pump housing where the driveshaft protrudes. You can easily check this at Crowley Marine's website and many others . This is a similar set up used on '70 and '73 Johnson 6 HPs that I owned, except those didn't use the o-ring in addition to having no gaskets.

Also the water pickup is very similar. Most (or all) of the water is picked up at the screened opening in your photo. There is another opening in the gearcase that looks like a water pickup, but I can tell you that putting muffs there will not enable the motor to draw in water. You do have to submerge the gear case in a container of water to run the motor (unless there is some attachment for that screened pickup configuration that I don't know about).

Additionally, with the 70 - 73 6HP motors, the water level in the container has to be a few inches higher that the screened pickup opening (I think it was 3"-6"). My guess is the same is true with your 25.

If you have been trying to run it on muffs then there is a good chance you have damaged the impeller already. Only takes a few seconds to start damage.
If you want to run in a "bucket" make sure the water level is up above the level of the water pump. One of the reasons no gaskets were needed is because the pump was designed to be submerged to prime. Once up on plane your water pick up will force water to the inlet side of the pump.
There should be a seal beneath the lower plate on the water pump. That seal is a driveshaft seal. That the one you are asking about?

Latest posts