Frozen Lower Unit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
Took my new to me 83 Johnson 25hp on it's maiden voyage last Thursday before the cold weather get here.

Today I was messing around with the boat and tried to spin the motor over to look for timing marks. It acted like it was stuck, took a hard pull to get it to move, but it did free up and spin normally. I suspected that it might have froze, so I tried to shift it and it was stuck in neutral. The prop does spin freely.

I put a heat lamp close to the lower unit for a couple hours, when I went back to check I saw that quite a bit of water had leaked out, and it now shifts normally.

What are the chances that anything was damaged? I guess the best way is to take it all apart. I need to replace the seals in the lower unit and replace the impeller since I don't know how old it is, but I'm not sure if the parts will get here in time for my next outing.

Why did water stay in there anyway? I do not trailer or store the motor up (this motor doesn't seem to have a lock to keep it upright), I leave it down just like it would be if I was on the lake. Is there a drain hole somewhere that is plugged?

You may luck out. You just said "water leaked out". Not being mind readers we have no idea where it leaked from.
There are dedicated drain holes designed to get rid of the water that would normally freeze crack the gearcase housing.
Not knowing exactly where the water drained from.....can't help much. Look for the small drain holes and clean out each and every one of them.
Very often silt and sand will block them after years of usage.
If you have water in the oil in your gearcase and the water leaked from a seal then that needs to be addressed.

Latest posts