75 Johnson 9.9 Weight

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FilthyPlumber

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been a member here for a little over a year and have done a lot of reading and it's time for my first post.

I've been trying to find out what my 75 Johnson 9.9 2 stroke seahorse weighs but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have that info?

I have an old 12' Valco and I'm looking at buying a newer motor with an electric start so my Pops can take it out when ever he wants without me worrying about his shoulder with the pull start.

No premixing fuel would be awesome ( I believe thats the DI motors?) and I'd like it to be as light as possible so he can take it off and on the transom easily (I don't want the motor mounted during transport as its rivets and I think the weight of the motor will stretch out the rivets and create leaks).

Recommendations of motors are welcomed as well.

69 pounds is what a 9.9 weighs. A little kid or guy with a bad shoulder can start one but the normal tendency is to pull it hard. Multiple light pulls work just as well. When starting a two stroke it needs to turn over enough to suck fresh air and fuel all the way thru the intake and engine block befor it gets enough in the cylinder to fire. You can spin the motor enough with two or three hard pulls or 5 or 6 easy ones. Of course pushing a button is easy too.

I think Stump is right on the money, but I'll give just a little different perspective. I'm "older" and reasonably fit I guess. I have bad shoulders. Right now starting my leaf blower is painful. I would want the elect start.

No clue where you heard that it is better to transport an aluminum hull minus the engine.
The transom goes through a ton more (and different) stress while the engine is on and running hard.
An engine sitting on the transom going down the road on a trailer is nothing compared to the stresses it takes, with ease, while running.
If your boat is properly supported by the trailer just leave the engine on and quit worrying. The boat is plenty strong. One less issue for you to worry about for your Dad. One way or another.....keep him fishing for as long as you can!!

Latest posts