Servicing Mercury 2006 EFI 4 Stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfishingken

Reaction score
Hey all! So as I pointed out in a different thread I just bought a new boat with a merc on it. I took it out and ran it for the first time and it was great. The motor seems to be in pretty much perfect shape. That last owner had it serviced 2 seasons ago so I figure it’s probably about time to have it serviced again. Sounds like the shop put in some new lower seals, impeller, oil and a few other basic things.

I was going to just drop it off at a shop but was recommended just to do the servicing myself. I checked around on YouTube and realized it was all pretty much straight forward. If something big goes out I will bring it in but the actual servicing seems like something I can manage. I’m curious where I should start! Do you guys have any suggestions on the first tasks I should take on. I was thinking lower gear oil and possibly an impeller but past that I’m not sure the “order of importance”.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks

Two years is not a long time for an outboard. But it depends on where it's being used and how new or old it is and how large or small.

I would change both oils & call it good, as long as it runs well.

Is the water outlet stream strong at idle? If so, you are good to go there.

Latest posts