Engine part/carb cleaners?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good engine parts cleaner....primarily a dip solution for carburetors? I have used Chem-Dip in the past with good results but the can of it I bought recently seems to be less effective. Not sure if their formula changed or what. I've read the NAPA dip is good and also where people just use simple cleaners like Pine Sol to soak parts in.

Zep makes a good one. Primarily for commercial use though. That is what I use.
There are differences in carburetors and what they will put up with as well. The OMC carbs can handle a longer dip than Yamaha carbs will. On Yamahas the throttle shafts will bind if left too long in an acid dip. Always lube them immediately after rinse and dry with a WD-40 or equivalent.
OMC Engine tuner is an excellent product. I use that on all brass parts and in all passageways. I then verify flow in passageways with an aerosol carb cleaner mixture and a piece of tag wire.
All top core plugs on OMC carbs are removed prior to cleaning.

I had a can of the NAPA cleaner left over from doing some Holley carbs and I used that on my Mercury carbs back in Nov. It seemed to work well but I had disassembled the carbs the previous season when I had a fuel filter blow out (thanks to someone squeezing the primer bulb too hard #-o ) so the carbs weren't as dirty as they might have been. I put rebuild kits in all 3 carbs and I just need to get them dialed in once the weather gets warmer.

Latest posts