4HP Evinrude folding motor.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpalump

Reaction score
Just as soon as I started to enjoy the 3hp refirb....

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44189

A 4 horse folding outboard followed me home. I've heard of 3hp folders but never a 4hp. I think the 3 horse powerhead is excellent but is the four almost as good? I could swap mid sections and lower units but the coler is different.

20kq983.jpg

hrjv3o.jpg

How cool...or just call it weird. Lol. Time to get busy with a scrub brush.

2w723ad.jpg

I still have a couple of the 3hp folders. I bought either 7 or 9 3hp engines at one time from a guy coming down from Minn. that I knew.
I still have 4 of them I think. One is a Ducktwin (original and kinda rare) and I still have a nice 1967 Evinrude 3hp folder and a couple others.
They are great little engines. As a matter of fact last time he was down he left 2 more at the warehouse where I keep engines. That has been a couple years now.

Pappy said:
I still have a couple of the 3hp folders. I bought either 7 or 9 3hp engines at one time from a guy coming down from Minn. that I knew.
I still have 4 of them I think. One is a Ducktwin (original and kinda rare) and I still have a nice 1967 Evinrude 3hp folder and a couple others.
They are great little engines. As a matter of fact last time he was down he left 2 more at the warehouse where I keep engines. That has been a couple years now.
Here is a guy looking for one. Would be an interesting conversation to say the least.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/d/evinrude-lightwin-3hp/6509780283.html

I got it cleaned up running, and inspected today.

xe20wl.jpg

The gear lube came out the right color.

1dnco.jpg

Of course the bulletproof magneto and points always look and work like new on old Evinrudes.

awam90.jpg

Water pump...With the folding driveshafts coupling pressed on above the water pump you have to pull the driveshaft out of the lower unit. Of course the pinion gear goes floating off in the lower unit when you do this. Part #18.

rax8x0.jpg

There are either plastic or aluminum pump housings available so I pulled it apart to inspect and to order the right impeller.

2z4y5ts.jpg

I drained out the fresh gear lube and fished the pinion in place to get it together until the impeller comes in. The book says to disassemble the lower unit but I got lucky and wanted to pass on to never pull a drive shaft out of a lower unit unless you have too.

This is what an old impeller that has taken set looks like. The vanes should be soft and flex out straight. It still pumped but not much.

a3mc7r.jpg

As an impeller gets even older and harder they can break into tiny bits. These bits get sucked up into the engine cooling passages and block water flow. OEM parts are your freind in this criticle area and since BRP (Johnson Evinrude) wants to stay in the parts buisness they reduce the price of many parts to compete with the aftermarket. Original Impeller was $22 and a carb kit with float cost about the same.

The carb kit is on the way but I'm missing the high speed adjustment knob that protrudes out the front. I think they fit a bunch of models. If anybody has one or knows where to source one I sure could use it.