Hydrofoil/compression plate/cavitation plate

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
Do any of you run one?

I have a 15' flat bottom (no tunnel) with float pods/sponsons, 25 hp Yamaha four stroke, and a trim unit that doubles as a jack plate. I'm wanting to get the motor as high as possible and was wondering if a plate would help. Any suggestions?

I have run both stingray and doel fin on 20-25 hp motors. I love them for several reasons. Mostly the transom lift and ability to plane at lower speeds. I have no experience using a hydrofoil with float pods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate them and find that on smaller motors most slow the motor more than they help.

If you place the cavitation plate well above the bottom of the boat then the plate will help plane the boat and be out of the water, not creating parasitic drag, while on plane.
If the plate will not be running high enough to totally clear the water flow it will do nothing but create drag since you already have the pods helping to plane the hull.
Plates will not help an engine run high. Propellers have almost everything to do with allowing the engine to run high and most folks will not spend the time, money, and work it takes to get the engine up where you want or need it to run. Propeller mods, if done right, will do this but you have to establish a base line performance table and then start your mods and continually "see" where you are with your changes. Have written about this several times on here and usually afterward all we hear around here are crickets chirping........

Is your prop not performing well when you have it running shallow? Is the stock cavitation plate right at water level at full speed/plane?

I will be upgrading to a stainless prop with cup, but I've got to do some mods first.

Blake said:
I will be upgrading to a stainless prop with cup, but I've got to do some mods first.

That will be a baseline "start". However if you want to do what you have outlined it will fall far short of your expectations. You will still have to have the prop sent out and double-cupped and have the cup brought around the leading edge just a bit for starters.

You can spend $800 on props and weeks figuring it out or $30 on a hydrofoil and the rest on fishing lures, beer and beef jerky! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts