Double checking spark plugs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasr

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1988 Mercury 20 HP. I ordered a carb rebuild kit, spark plugs and a couple other items. The old plugs that were in it were NGK BUHW which are a surface gap type plug. As per the Mercury Bulletin 91-36 I ordered NGK BP8H-N-10 but these are the conventional spark plug with the electrode. I want to trust the Mercury bulletin but at the same time I want to NOT bust the top of a piston on a too long spark plug. Just looking for a little assurance I got the right animal. Thanks.

thomasr said:
I recently purchased a 1988 Mercury 20 HP. I ordered a carb rebuild kit, spark plugs and a couple other items. The old plugs that were in it were NGK BUHW which are a surface gap type plug. As per the Mercury Bulletin 91-36 I ordered NGK BP8H-N-10 but these are the conventional spark plug with the electrode. I want to trust the Mercury bulletin but at the same time I want to NOT bust the top of a piston on a too long spark plug. Just looking for a little assurance I got the right animal. Thanks.
Simple enough, put one in and keep the plug wire off turn the engine over slowly by hand. If you don't feel any interference or feel a clunk, you have it made.

I have run both in my 1990 25 Hp. Seems to run the same with either. I figured the one without the electrode protruding may be less likely to get fouled as the older style seems to have more surface area. Who knows.

I have a 1988 Mariner 20 hp which I belive is the same motor. I run the NGK BUHW with no problems or fouling.

I have a 1988 Mariner 20 hp which I belive is the same motor. I run the NGK BUHW with no problems or fouling.

Latest posts