Sick to my stomach...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiveLiberty

Reaction score
Was having some issues getting the motor to engage in gear. I spent quite some time playing with the shifter, dropping the lower unit, etc.

When I turned it over, I think I found the issue...

fcbef3c9156c11184b18f4f9dbd38d23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any oil left in it? Might be able to weld it, but the damage to the internal parts might be already done.

What year and model is it ? You might be surprised how cheap a used lower unit is on Ebay....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1980-Mercury-outboard-6006A4-Lower-Unit-Gearcase-Housing-20-HP-c18/183117135495?hash=item2aa2a1be87:g:qooAAOSwn35aohQp&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the tips fellas.

Unfortunately, this crack is indicative of much more damage inside. Lesson learned: CHANGE YOUR LU OIL BEFORE WINTER. Even if you think it's good and don't think there should be any water in it. I must have had a seal go bad on one of my last few outings of the year last year, leading to water in the lower over the winter.

The good news is that I WAS able to find a used lower unit on Ebay for $175 plus shipping. The motor is a 1973 Merc Model 200 20hp. I was shocked to find one, and as far as I can tell, this is the only one available on the internet. Should be back in action by the end of the week!

For the cash strapped among us, a blown lower unit can mean a season off the water, and I wasn't ready to give in to that yet.