83 johnson 15 starts runs then dies?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert48

Reaction score
Any thoughts?
Motor ran great 6 months ago. Will start and run for a while with the choke on but closing it kills the motor most, but not every time. It stays running at idle for as little as 20 seconds and as long as 15 min then putters out like it is starving for air or gas. New gas, new plugs, no fuel leaks that are visible. What has me puzzled is how random it is.
Thanks in advance!
Robert

Yep, sounds like a good carb cleaning is in order. If it will continue to run with the choke pulled then there is no issue with the fuel system to the carb. I would purchase an OEM kit and do it right. After the cleaning I would purge the fuel from the tank and fuel line and start fresh.

Update: Problem was a bad primer ball. The ball did not leak but one of the one way valves was going bad. It was a ***** to diagnose but an easy fix.

Robert48 said:
Update: Problem was a bad primer ball. The ball did not leak but one of the one way valves was going bad. It was a ***** to diagnose but an easy fix.

That may have been ONE of your issues but a failing valve in a primer bulb will not make the engine run with choke on vs not.
Think about it. The only thing the primer bulb does is fill the fuel bowl. It has zero to do with mixture once the bowl is full.
Your statement of "will run with the choke on but closing it will kill the motor" indicates a carb issue. Glad you got the carb kit.
Secondly, your statement that the engine will run for as little as 20 seconds or as long as 15 minutes contradicts the other statement.
Your fuel pump should pull fuel no matter if you have a leaking valve or not. You may eventually need a kit for that as well. One thing at a time though.
You are definitely on the right track.