1986 25hp Mercury XD

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanny871

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was hoping someone could help me out with trying to get the twist grip off to replace the stop switch. I pried the rubber handle off and removed the set screw but I don't want to tug too hard on anything before knowing what needs to be done. The twist grip has to come off somehow.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/25-2-cyl/5705532-thru-6416712-usa/steering-handle-assembly-manual

water bouy said:
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/25-2-cyl/5705532-thru-6416712-usa/steering-handle-assembly-manual

I have looked at this schematic but still doesn't show how to actually remove the twist grip. I have gotten to the point where the set screw has been removed but I am stuck there. I do not want to damage any linkage by pulling too hard and nothing is budging.

Shanny, The steering handle assemble must be loose or removed from the motor.
the wiring needs to be disconnected from motor.
once this is done remove the rubber grip. remove set screw under grip.
you should be able to remove stop switch now. To further disassemble the
steering handle there is another set screw near the pulley on the handle.
Once this is removed the inner shaft may be removed from the outer shaft.
Good luck!

Carphunter said:
Shanny, The steering handle assemble must be loose or removed from the motor.
the wiring needs to be disconnected from motor.
once this is done remove the rubber grip. remove set screw under grip.
you should be able to remove stop switch now. To further disassemble the
steering handle there is another set screw near the pulley on the handle.
Once this is removed the inner shaft may be removed from the outer shaft.
Good luck!

Thank you, I will try this out!

So I tried again with no luck. After removing the set screw on the twist grip, it still feels like it is very securely attached to the tiller arm somehow and not by just wires.

Remove the tiller arm completely, Remove set screw from tiller handle near the pivot, should com apart. Use
penetrating fluid if not easy. Also get a service manual, it will help sooo much in the future.

Latest posts