Reviews on newer EFI kickers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashover52

Reaction score
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new 9.9 hp kicker for an 18' Alumaweld. Motor is mainly for trolling and a backup.

I was seriously ready to buy a Suzuki 9.9 EFI last fall and decided to wait a bit until the spring in case some deals showed up. I now see that Tohatsu is selling a 9.9 EFI model. Knowing Tohatsu worked with Honda on some of the EFI technology on the larger motor size and pretty much builds the lower hp motors for Mercury, I'm intrigued.

I have heard some stories with the Suzuki's about the high pitch whine and frustrations with the throttle tension slipping. In fact, the dealer I drive by regularly advised he had to put electrical tape on the shaft so the set screw wouldn't slide. That was his fix. He also installed an iTroll to help with the micro adjustments for trolling speed; something I plan on getting eventually.

I've been searching the web and most of the reviews are the 20hp models. I'm going to call a local distributor and see what the 15hp Merc EFI is about and whether it would be too large; particularly because they are also the dealer for the boat manufacturer.

Is there anyone that can offer any hand on insight on their own experiences with any of the low hp EFI models?

Wish I could help. I had a 25 EFI Merc. I'm sure it was made by Tohatsu. I would say at least 90% of use was slow speed trolling. I had it for three years and never had an inkling of an issue. Ran like a top. I know you are looking for experience with a 9.9, but for whatever it is worth, I think Tohatsu is building a decent product.

Latest posts