1987 9.9. To 15 conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markb63

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knows the whole process of the conversion. There are a lot of different opionions on what needs to be done. Is it just a carborator change or us there really more to it.

Please help. Thanks alot

Yes, I know the complete and proper process. Depends on the year though and you can do some of the homework.
Obviously the main difference is the carburetor.
Second will be the tuner vs an exhaust tube in the exhaust housing. Look this up for the model year
Third will be the shim under the reed stop that allows the reeds to open a bit further. Look this up as well.
Typically, the next question will be "can I just get away with the carb change?"
Up to you. All three changes combined make for a great performing engine.

I believe its the early 1987 model and serial numbers on the plate are gone so I am having trouble finding exact model number. Is there any other way to find out ?

Is the thermostat on the top or bottom of the head? What tiller assy does it have? Decals anywhere? What color is it? There were a few changes with the electronics also. Ya otta be able to narrow it down quite a bit..

Here's some pics

If need anymore or different angles let me know

I appreciate all the help

Attachments

• 0421181608b.jpg
    0421181608b.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,360
  • 0421181606_HDR.jpg
    0421181606_HDR.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,360
  • 0421181608_HDR.jpg
    0421181608_HDR.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,360
  • 0421181607a_HDR.jpg
    0421181607a_HDR.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,360
  • 0421181607b_HDR.jpg
    0421181607b_HDR.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,360
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but...............are you NOT reading what has been posted?
Already told you what has to be done to do the job correctly as well as the part about the "CU" being in the model number.
Read what has been written !!

I was trying to say that now that I found the model number and the yr is 1987 if that gave anyone a better idea on exactly was has to be done for that exact yr and model. For the conversion jeez sry

Don't get all butt-hurt. Without putting it into writing early on nobody here knows your mechanical expertise.
If you are not great around boat motors the best you will do is find a 15hp carb, change it out, and claim you turned the engine into a 15hp.
Your research into the other parts may be pointless since you have to remove the powerhead to change from an exhaust tube to a tuner. You have to remove the intake manifold then the reed blocks to install the additional spacer, if needed. That is where your research would come into play. some of the later years had these changes already just for commonality on the assembly lines. Am happy to tell you what needs to be done but I will not do all of your research into part numbers as well.
Not being mechanically inclined you may this may be a bit much.

Can u please tell me if you can tell if this is an early or late 1987 9.9 carborator

I think the only difference is a cover over the carb. Can you please tell me which one it is if you can tell from this pic

Attachments

• 0423181046a.jpg
    0423181046a.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 577
  • 0423181044_HDR.jpg
    0423181044_HDR.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 577
Just for reference the carb appears to be an early one.
Now, when searching for a replacement this is not that important as all the linkages are in the same place as is the mount flange. You can use almost any carb through around 1992. The later the better of course as there will be less wear on later carbs. The black plastic cover carbs can also be used.

Tyvm. I called someone to do the work but they want me to order the parts. So I think I will say screw the 15 conversion and just order a brand new early model 9.9 carb and have him put it in and might as well get a new water pump and impeller as these havent been done in 10 yrs. The couple miles,an hr difference is not worth all the extra crap. Whats ur opinion?

My opinion is to not order a new carb.
Take it to a reliable shop and have them rebuild the carb and install a new water pump impeller or a new complete pump plus change the gear oil and grease the engine. All parts should be OEM parts and not aftermarket including gear oil.
Your question to the shop should be "Do you use OEM or aftermarket parts for repairs?" If aftermarket then find an authrorized Evinrude shop or purchase the parts and supply the shop as necessary. I would also ask for references as to the quality of work the shop performs. Sometimes you can find comments online.
As to the power of the 9.9? Depends on the boat and the load onboard. The 9.9 will have a touch more bottom end power than the 15hp but once on plane at mid-range RPMs on up the 15hp would supply more power.
In my initial comments about what it takes to do the change I did not mention the propeller change from the 9.9 to the 15hp prop. Once again...additional cost.

Latest posts