cleaning out fuel tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyo3629

Reaction score
i have about 20 gallons of very old gas that i have to pump out of the built in tank in my Tracker.
once i get out as much fuel as i can, what's the best way to clean the tank and what kind of cleaning solution should i use? (it's a plastic tank).
too bad you can't remove the tank without removing the whole rear deck.
appreciate any help.

Chances are you will be removing the fuel sender unit cover to do the cleaning.
Couple ways to do it. One is to use a fuel pump and guide the suction tube to the bottom corners of the tank.
You can utilize a hill or blocks under one wheel plus your trailer jack to get the fuel into one corner.
Second way is to get a piece of say 3/8" fuel hose several feet long and cut a hole through the side of it a foot or so away from what will be the outlet side of the hose.
Insert an air nozzle into the hose with the tip pointed toward the outlet side and turn on the nozzle. This will create a good suction to pull out the remaining fuel from the tank.
Buy a new seal for the fuel sender assembly prior to removing it. It should come with replacement screws as well.

FWIW I once used PRI-G gas treatment ... and it burned off the old fuel in lawn equipment, not in our cars or boats. It worked. Gave them a good Seafoam (decarb elixer) treatment afterwards. I've seen people use acetone to rinse out smaller tanks.

Latest posts