1978 Johnson 35 hp Lower Unit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiveLiberty

Reaction score
Well, I've had a string of bad luck on outboards.

I purchased a 1978 Johnson 35 hp motor last month. It starts up great and shifted well on the muffs. However, when I took it out on the lake, it slips out of gear at about 15 mph or so. It feels like I'm hitting a stump. I believe the issue to be a clutch dog. It seems like that was a real issue with this model of lower unit.

After doing some research, I'm not quite confident enough to get in to the lower unit to change the clutch dog. The bearing housing pull intimidates me a bit and I'm most worried about getting everything back together. Additionally, it looks like a new gear set runs about $300. My thought is, at that price it would be easier and not too much more money to find a used lower unit. BUT, I've scoured the interwebs and haven't found a single compatible lower unit.

Three questions:

1. Honestly, how difficult is it to get into the lu and change the clutch dog? I'm decently mechanically inclined, and don't mind doing most of my own work.
2. Does anybody happen to have a working LU for this motor sitting around?
3. Does anybody have a secret source for used LU's that I haven't found?

Thanks guys!

hardwatergrampa said:
do you have a picture of the motor I think I had 1 with a bad head

Sure thing, here is a pic.
9a4712557954f9e3acd8d803da22859e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be great, I appreciate it.

This one is a long shaft, so that would likely work.

Pappy said:
Post the model number of your engine.

Thanks, will do when I get home.

Off the top of my head, model 35EL78R. Will update for sure when I get home.

If so that would indeed be a 1978 electric longshaft. Take a good look at the powerhead and see if that engine looks like it has been overheated at all. Reason I ask is that in the 1978 vintage there is a plastic water tube coupler about half way up in the exhaust housing that melts and will NOT seal properly again. That part has been obsolete for quite a number of years as well. Was a kind of an Achilles heel for that engine and that design as well as internal and external lower unit designs changes rapidly. From around 1982 on up that engine and gearcase was pretty much bulletproof.

Figures I found one of the only bad Johnson’s out there. [emoji849]

The powerhead seems to be in great shape. The block is very clean, no flaking paint or anything. It pumps water pretty strong as well. It seems to run well excepting the lower unit issues.

Thanks for the heads up though, I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for that issue.

A guy has to fish, so to this point I’ve just been idling around the lake to my spots.

If it has not been overheated and that coupler melted then you still have a good engine. Did not mean to be misleading. The powerheads were and still are pretty much bulletproof. When the gearcase issue is resolved please note that there is a shift adjustment at the base of your shift handle on the side of the engine that can help you from having that issue again.

maybe some 1 can tell if it will fit ser #j30elcrr mod # is e600 4748 have pictures on my phone but don't know how to post them ill have the grandson do it this weekend

hardwatergrampa said:
maybe some 1 can tell if it will fit ser #j30elcrr mod # is e600 4748 have pictures on my phone but don't know how to post them ill have the grandson do it this weekend
If you want to send the pics to 704 223 4637 I will post them for you.

I have replaced the dog on a '78 15 horse and the gear set on a '92 30 horse (Johnsons). Takes about a dozen cuss words is all.

@Rocs my biggest issue at this point is cost. I’ve read a few places that if the clutch dog is bad, chances are that the gears are as well. A new gear set is about $300. At that price I’ll be looking at new motors! I only paid $400 for this motor to begin with.

DiveLiberty said:
@Rocs my biggest issue at this point is cost. I’ve read a few places that if the clutch dog is bad, chances are that the gears are as well. A new gear set is about $300. At that price I’ll be looking at new motors! I only paid $400 for this motor to begin with.

And many times you are correct. But you paid $400 for a motor with issues. I don't know about Mo. but around here you won't get a known good motor that size for $400. or no where near it. You would be looking at a couple thousand. Sometimes it is better to go ahead and fix what you have.

Count on the gear being as damaged as the clutch dog is.
Now, how the gearsets are handled. If you need a fwd. gear (and you do) it is sold along with the pinion gear as a set.
The reverse gear can be left alone as it is probably okay.
If you go that route remember what I told you early on about the adjustment on the gear handle. When shifted the unit has to be all the way in gear.
This can be felt as additional resistance when the clutch dog lug bottoms out in the gear.

Latest posts