Evinrude 88SPL

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IADIVER

Reaction score
This post may get a little bit long in the tooth, but it is an experience that I have learned from.
This post is about my experience and problems I have encountered with my Lund Tyee that I purchased 4 years ago now and having a different motor put on because the old one was supposedly shot, this is the shortest version I could write to explain the chain of events leading to today.

I have what i believe is a 1988 evinrude 88spl exact model number is e88mslccc.
I made a big mistake buying this motor, as it has not got tilt or trim on it, it is all manual, it does have a "handle" on it to raise the motor but at 59 years of age now I am not wanting to exert that much energy after being on the water all day.
I guess I should fill you in on how I came about getting this motor.
I was getting the boat ready for a fishing trip a couple years ago and wanted to have the motor I had on my boat serviced and checked over, that was an evinrude 90 VRO, Anyway, I took the boat and motor to what I am going to call a "Backyard mechanic" that my brother had heard about from one of his friends that said this guy does good work. HAH is all I am going to say.
So he calls me and tells me that my 90 is shot, water coming out in places it's not suppose to, but it still ran. So he made me a deal on this 88spl which I guess I new nothing about and told him to go ahead and do it.
I got it home, decided not to take it on this fishing excursion, boat sat for a few months before I decided to try and start it and play with it and learn about the motor and basically get a video so I can try to sell the motor and get another one that has tilt and trim.
I could not get the motor to turn over or anything, just like the battery was dead, so I charged the battery and still nothing, played around with it for a little bit and put it back in storage, that was 2 years ago.
This spring my son and I got the boat out and started checking things over, there was a spot in the middle of the wiring harness that goes from the motor to the remote that had been spliced, thinking there was a problem in that area we decided to cut the splices out and resplice it and see what happens. After cutting the wires I noticed a burn mark on the casing, it was burned from the inside out, so checking the rest of the harness there was another 4 spots that were burned the same way.
I basically got pissed at this point and removed the motor from the boat and getting ready to put the newer motor on which is an evinrude 110 VRO I purchased about a year ago now.
The son and I started looking into why the 88 did what it did with the wiring harness burns. after putting the motor on a stand I was looking at where the harness plugs into the motor and seen what looked like bare wires hanging out of where the fuse is suppose to be, sure enough, there was copper wire all rolled up and stuck in the fuse location that goes to the starter solenoid. wow can you believe this, now I know why there were burned wires.
Thinking that since this fusable link goes to the solenoid that the solenoid is probably bad. but not sure as of yet, not sure how to check the solenoid to know whether it is bad or not. anyone reading this know how to check I would appreciate the knowledge share :) My son found a used wiring harness on ebay and will be here shortly, but not going to hook it up until checking solenoid or if there is anything else that could cause this?
I know this motor runs as the guy i purchased it from and that put it on started it for me before I pulled it home.
Thanks for reading this long post and replying if you have any input or suggestions on fixing the problems I have encountered, other than being to trusting of someone that I was lead to believe knew what he was doing!!

Still a bit unclear as to what you have found.
First off. There were several of the aluminum boat manufacturers back in that era that made their own key switch to engine harnesses. Some were okay and a lot more were, lets say, not as good.
Second. If my math is close then so far it will have been closer to 3 years now (or even 2) that this engine has not been run. Do not hold your breath on it running correctly with carbs that have been sitting that long.
Solenoid checking has been written about here more times than I can count and can be searched.
Once you get your fuse harness fixed take an ohmeter and check each end, with the big 10 pin connector disconnected, to make sure there is no connection to ground.
Leave the battery disconnected when connecting your boat harness to the engine. With the key switch in the off position connect your battery leads and make sure there is no spark. That is a simple way to check if your electrical skills are not that great. The little short fuse in that red fuse holder controls starting on that engine. Also controls tilt and trim on an engine so equipped.
If you still need help in checking the solenoid afterward let us know.

Thanks Pappy, when I get back to that engine I will certainly do those checks. Right now I am in the process of putting the Evinrude 110 Model # J110TLAEM on the lund TYEE boat. New harness for 88spl showed up today on UPS, when I get the 88 running, I will find another boat to put it on and then sell it. I am sure that the carbs will need cleaned and will be done before anything is done as well as new lower unit lube etc. I know for a fact that the 110 has sat for more than 3 years and I will most likely replace water pump impeller and check out the lower unit seals, clean carbs on it etc.

Latest posts