Oil filter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytebyte

Reaction score
I have the new Tahatsu 20 and wondering if there is any reason I cant run a Mercury oil filter on it being as the Merc is made by Tahatsu? I can but the Mercury one local. No dealer for Tahatsu in the area. On websites part numbers are different but I would think they are the same filter. I dont know of a cross reference chart for outboard oil filters. Thanks for any info!

nytebyte said:
I have the new Tahatsu 20 and wondering if there is any reason I cant run a Mercury oil filter on it being as the Merc is made by Tahatsu? I can but the Mercury one local. No dealer for Tahatsu in the area. On websites part numbers are different but I would think they are the same filter. I dont know of a cross reference chart for outboard oil filters. Thanks for any info!
Most times you can get the OEM part number and go to a place like O'Rilley's and buy an aftermarket filter like a Wix that will work just fine for about 30-40% of the OEM filter.

Just because they are both made by the same company, doesn’t mean they are interchangeable. Why can’t you order the right one online and have it mailed to your home?

Shipping brings the cost up and would have just as soon buy it local if it would work as i can get it now rather than wait. I will try the Merc filter this time and when I have a need for a few more parts I will try the Tahatsu one. They do look the same and thinking they are both made at the same place.

I took a look at one of the on line supply houses for the heck of it and saw that the filter for the Tohatsu 20 is the same as used on Mercury up to 30 HP. You could also cross reference your Tohatsu to a Sierra filter and do the same for Mercury. If they use the same Sierra filter than it is pretty sure a Mercury filter will fit your OB.

You could do a search in a filter cross reference as I have in the link below. There are more cross references on the internet. Just type in "filter cross reference" in your search and it will show multiple sites that you can use to cross your filter. You need to know the filter number or the engine make and model for these searches.

https://www.wixfilters.com/lookup/filterlookup.aspx

Latest posts