Screw on fuel filters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinny Fleet

Reaction score
My normal way to handle fuel filtration issues is to add one of those in-line see-through filters with a couple feet of where the fuel line plugs into the engine. The result is that there is a filter in the tank (the pickup), another one "in-line" and a third at the fuel pump.

That said, I am curious about these inline filters that "screw on" to a mount that you place near the motor. Dimensionally, they look a lot like oil filters. They are also supposed to remove water from the gas.

Does anyone have first hand experience with these? Thoughts? Impressions? Worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Those play two roles, water separator and fuel filter. They for the most part do a good job unless you get an inordinate amount of contaminants in your fuel.

They are really good for larger boats/motors with permanent, large capacity fuel tanks as those are more susceptible to getting water in them plus you likely will never remove the outboard. For smaller boats with portable fuel tanks and outboards you may more frequently swap out they aren't as necessary and create an additional hassle when changing motors. I run a large, clear Fram G2 automotive style filter on my fuel line between the primer bulb and the motor and a clear small engine filter between the fuel pump and carb on my motors. They work great and if I ever was to get contaminated gas it would be easy to clean out the portable tank and refill with fresh 50:1 mix.

Latest posts