Motor cover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsman

Reaction score
Hi all. I am new to this forum, and new to boating. I have a 1983 Johnson 25 hp motor that is electric start. According to the serial number it was a rope start from the factory. So, I guess it has been converted somewhere along the line. My question is, The cover has a large opening in the top front of it. I assume this was for the rope start. I closed this opening with foil tape so as not to get any water in the opening, especially when sitting outside. Is there something I should watch for? Namely overheating. I have used it this way for maybe three hours of running, and have not seen any problems so far. Being on a limited budget, and the cost of repairs to anything marine related, I do not need to bring on any troubles. Thank you for any comments ahead of time.

Usually the rope start configuration is left intact whenever e-start is added ...at least on the OMCs I've owned, the flywheel already had the 'teeth' on it to engage the bendix electric starter.

I personally love having the dual option on my smaller OBs! But you're OK ... you could always find a suitable sized piece of plastic and pop-rivet the opening closed.

The engine is water cooled, that hole was pretty much closed with a grommet around the original starter rope so closing it isn't going to make it overheat.

Latest posts