2004 Mercury 90 HP Saltwater 4 Stroke W/25" Shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baby John

Reaction score
My lower unit went out on my Mercury 90 HP Saltwater.

I've contacted SEI Marine who sells new aftermarket lower units and they sell one (SE205) that is said to fit "Most" 3 and 4 cylinder motors. You can buy them in various gear ratios. Mine is a 25" unit with 2.33:1 gear ratio.

The problem is...when I contacted them they asked me for my serial number, which is OT859214. They looked it up for me but then said "nope" they don't sell one for my motor.

I went back and looked at their website at that model number SE205 and sure enough they say that unit only works for serial number prior to OT801000. Mine is 58,214 newer than their cut off.

I've been searching ebay all day for used replacements and I've seen in numerous places where the lower units are the same from 2004 - 2007. Just seems like the SE205 unit should work. Can't figure out why but I'm too scared to just order it without first getting someone to help me understand why there's a difference.

There's a qualifying note that says something about it not replacing a 3 jaw lower unit
and another that it will only work with a 4-1/4" bullet diameter
and another that it will not work with models having a plastic water pump housing

When SEI told me they didn't have one for me they referred me to Texas Outboards. Went there and they sell the same model for the same price with the same qualification about the serial number cut off.

Scrolling down through Texas Outboards they sell one for a 75/90 HP unit...4 stroke that's said to fit years from 2004 - 2014, but it's twice the price...and that's for a remanufactured unit.

Just really confused. If I'm searching ebay for a used one do I search for units from 2004 - 2007 or can I go all the way to 2014 like Texas Outboards says?

No idea what the difference is between the 3 jaw and 6 jaw, except of course...one has 3 more jaws (whatever that is).

Can anyone help me out so I will at least know what I'm searching for?

Obviously there is a difference or they wouldn't designate that unit different. Is rebuilding/repairing your unit out of the question?

nccatfisher said:
Obviously there is a difference or they wouldn't designate that unit different. Is rebuilding/repairing your unit out of the question?

At this point I think a rebuild is probably my best bet to be absolutely sure that I have the right parts.

Baby John said:
nccatfisher said:

At this point I think a rebuild is probably my best bet to be absolutely sure that I have the right parts.
If at all possible when one was made only a few years many times that is best.

Latest posts