5HP Gamefisher Question/w/pics/UPDATE 10/30/08

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2go

Reaction score
I was given a 5HP Gamefisher outboard last night.Model # 217-585460 I was told that the motor left running fine and soon as it got away from the docks,it wound down and stopped.After it stopped it couldn't be turned.When I got it, it was free and turned easily without a spark plug in it.I am told this is because of an overheated gear case.I can't seem to find a fill or drain plug on the lower unit.Does someone have or will someone post pics of the plugs.Is there a air filter on this model motor?Sears parts diagrams are so fuzzy that I can't tell my _ _ _ from a hole in the ground. :? Has anyone replaced the impeller and housing on one of these?Is it difficult?Thanks in advance.

If it is stuck, you need not worry about an air filter or water pump housing. Neither of those will play a significant role in getting it unstuck (the water pump housing could have been the reason that it got stuck, but a) that is doutbful, and b) if you can't get it unstuck this time, there is no reason to keep it from getting stuck next time, because there is no next time).

I haven't played with Gamefishers that much, but I think I could start you in the right direction. Did you mix the gas and the oil correctly? Was it pumping water correctly? Does the motor have a gearshift, or is it always in forward? If it has a shifter, does it still shift, or is it stuck? If you can get it into neutral, can you turn the prop by hand? I am led to believe the problem is somewhere in the lower unit, which could be a number of things. Lets start there, and then go on.

I dunno what was done to the engine.I'm just going based on what I was told.When I picked it up this past saturday it was free and turning.Either way I plan to change the gear case oil and impeller after I get it up and running.

Jim said:
What was the outcome?

I've come down with pneumonia and haven't been able to work on the engine.I have started feeling better in the past couple days,but not well enough to get out.Before I put away the engine,it need a spark plug,fresh fuel,and a carb cleaning.I plan to change the gear case oil and impeller for a piece of mind.Sears online parts department still have parts listed for the old Gamefisher outboards.Have to look up the parts using the engine model number.They still sell the parts to rebuild the power head.The prices on parts to rebuild the power head make it barely worth it for the home mechanic.If the work has to be done at a shop,find a working engine and keep the bad one for spare parts.The power head being Tecumseh is good.If someone has connections with an old small engine or lawn mower shop,the parts are interchangeable with some of the old mowers.From my understanding the engine block and crankshaft are the only parts specific to the outboards.I can't confirm this 100% but my cousin has an old green push mower, with a Tecumeh engine,and it isn't much different than my outboard.The carbs look the same as does the pull start cover.I hope this info will help someone and I will keep posted what happens when I am able to work on the engine more.

https://www.discount-marine-parts.com/
That's where I got my parts for my Ted Williams motor..
Give them a call, top notch service and quick delivery.

My motor doesn't have an air filter either...

I replaced my impeller and D-shaft seal. not very hard at all. just take your time with it.. and when you're putting it all back together, (if it's the same as mine.) on the water tube put it in the upper end first, then when you're putting it in the pump housing, you can help line it up through the exhaust hole above the prop with a long screw driver.

Hope that helps you out.

Thanks.If I ever get well I'm gonna do something with the motor.I have to have a 4 cycle on my lakes and the Gamefisher is a 2 smoker.I really like the Gamefisher.Weighs around 25 to 30 pounds.I don't have a trailer so I will be loading/unloading the boat out of the bed of my truck.No big deal since the boat is a 1030.It helps that the engine is light enough to take on and off with the boat beached.

Pulled the motor out today.I checked the spark,not good.I pull the rope and it only fires the spark plug once or twice.It's a new spark plug.So I am taking the engine apart enough to get at the magneto.While I had the motor tilted up,thick green oil ran out of the carb and the fuel valve for the external fuel tank.So I need to replace the fuel valve and clean the carb.I'll have to rebuild the fuel pump also.I installed the plug and spun the engine over.It feels a little low on compression but not low enough to prevent running.It may have some form of compression release built into the carb base.I'm not as good with 2 strokes as I am with 4 strokes.My local NAPA and All Pro have parts for this engine.Both stores have been around since cars were invented.Really both stores are family owned and have been in biz for close to 50 years.I'll kepp posted on how things turn out.I'll try to get pics up also.

Got in there and removed the fly wheel.I cleaned the ignition parts real good,re gaped the points(the possible problem),and put it back together.I now have spark.Only problem is the carb.I can't find a rebuild kit for it.The carb part number is 632121.That is the Tecumseh P/N.I also need the parts to rebuild the fuel pump, the on/off valve for the remote tank connection, and a connector and line for a remote tank.I've search the net and no one seems to make a kit or carb for the engine.A few people have emailed me back saying there were no NOS around either.Anyone have any ideas? :?:

ben2go, go to sears.com and do a search of your model #. At the bottom of the page it will give you sections of the motor I.E. powerhead-carb-etc.. They do not list a complete kit but they list most parts separately. Your carb # is listed. Also see the exploded view at the bottom of page. Some parts are discontinued but maybe they have enough to get you running.

phased said:
ben2go, go to sears.com and do a search of your model #. At the bottom of the page it will give you sections of the motor I.E. powerhead-carb-etc.. They do not list a complete kit but they list most parts separately. Your carb # is listed. Also see the exploded view at the bottom of page. Some parts are discontinued but maybe they have enough to get you running.

Thanks for the help.
Yea,I did that but they have the parts I need listed as discontinued. :cry:

Sorry that did not work for you. Might try this ebay store (https://stores.ebay.com/Rupp-Parts) he has Tecumseh carb kits and says "If unsure about fitment for your application..email me all engine #s and I can check fitment."([email protected]).

phased said:
Sorry that did not work for you. Might try this ebay store (https://stores.ebay.com/Rupp-Parts) he has Tecumseh carb kits and says "If unsure about fitment for your application..email me all engine #s and I can check fitment."([email protected]).

Model # 217-585460
This is the only number on the engine data plate besides the serial number.The carb number is 632121 and I got this from the sears parts fiche.

EDIT

I should add that the carb is linkage operated and has an internal fuel pump.

ben2go I emailed the guy about a kit for your carb a couple of days ago but have not gotten a reply. You might look at the kit in the following link and try to email him. Maybe you will have better luck than I did.

https://tinyurl.com/65j9dd

phased said:
ben2go I emailed the guy about a kit for your carb a couple of days ago but have not gotten a reply. You might look at the kit in the following link and try to email him. Maybe you will have better luck than I did.

https://tinyurl.com/65j9dd

I checked him out.I have minibikes.He doesn't have anything for the marine style carbs.Seems that everything inside is different because of the built in fuel pump.The carb is a float style just like comes on the old 70's Lawn Boy push mowers.Only thing is mine has a fuel pump built into the side,if I'm understanding the parts fiche.The connections are different for the linkage type and the Lawn Boy cable carb.

Andy said:
........#.......yr..hp..cyl....... Notes
217.585460 1980 5 1 Carb Kit DI-52027 Tec 643-29

That is from https://www.discount-marine-parts.com/

Cool!Thanks.I must have missed it.I went there and looked.Ahhhh,time fur glasses.

Latest posts