Electric start kits?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
Has anyone added electric start to a pull start motor? I'm thinking about doing it but was wondering how much of a pain it would be.

The electric start itself usually isn't all that bad, but when you add the additional charging system that goes along with it then it becomes pretty expensive unless you get lucky enough to find a donor motor to get all the components from.

Depending on exactly which motor you are planning on some already have a ring gear on the flywheel and some even have a stator under the flywheel, but the latter are really rare.

But to answer your question yes, I have done several.

I converted a 9.8 Merc once.

Found a long shaft ES motor of the same year on CL that didn't run and had no title for 100 bucks. If I remember right, I swapped the starter, flywheel, stator, rectifier, starter solenoid/button, and CDI. Some of that may not have been necessary, I just swapped it out of convenience.

By far the cheapest and easiest way to accomplish this is to find an electric start parts motor and rob what you need off of it.

Some motors are simpler than others, on that Merc you could just bolt on the starter and swap the flywheel if you didn't need the charging system. However, on my 25 Johnson, the recoil needs to be removed, and a different bracket setup installed for ES.

It really, really helps when you state what engine you are referencing!!! Kind of like going onto a forum and asking "How many miles should my car get on a tank of gas" with no other information added......

So.......Depends on the engine. Does the engine already have the correct ring gear for the starter to engage? If not then it becomes expensive.
The actual bolt on stuff is not bad on most engines.
You do NOT have to add a charging system if you do not want to. You will have to remember to charge your starting battery every once in a while. If you buy a factory kit most will come with the charging system which requires you pull the flywheel and either change out the stator assembly or add a charge coil. Usually the former.

It's a 2001 merc 15 four stroke. But I might be putting this off. Low compression on the bottom hole...

Latest posts