'97 25hp Johnson deadman switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New River Rat

Reaction score
I seem to have a bit of a quandary on my hands. The safety device that prevents my little Johnson (yeah, I said it) from starting in gear is acting rather janky. This lever pointed out should drop down in neutral but doesn't.

20170721_143126.JPG

It is model # J25teeum and I have searched online for the part pointed out below, which no one is listing in their schematics. This possibly is the culprit.

20170721_143112.JPG

By making contact on these to tabs, it starts in neutral as well as in gear.

20170721_143126.JPG

I know there's a wealth of knowledge here and I'm only asking for a little bit!

I like marineengine.com. does the manual have a schematic?

But curious if this is really an issue or are you just bored during the winter break!? I understand the purpose of the part but if you are diligent to ensure it is in neutral, keep on truckin!

If it were mine I'd have it apart already and cleaned and lubricated. I bet someone used a grease on it or sprayed a 'protective' anti-corrosion spray on it ... and either of those can gum up and stop a dynamic or moving part from actuating. Some anti-corrosion sprays (like Boeshield T-9) even have a wax formula in their mix, which is good for protection but sucks for lubrication.

I find the best lubricant for moving parts in the marine environment is good old 'fogging oil'. Put that oil into a padlock used in the saltwater environment and you'll be able to get that lock open with the key anytime needed! Use other lubes ... and not so much ...

thedude said:
I like marineengine.com. does the manual have a schematic?

But curious if this is really an issue or are you just bored during the winter break!? I understand the purpose of the part but if you are diligent to ensure it is in neutral, keep on truckin!

#1. I don't get bored.
#2. I don't have a winter break.
#3. It won't start:

New River Rat said:
I seem to have a bit of a quandary on my hands. The safety device that prevents my little Johnson from starting in gear is acting rather janky. This lever pointed out should drop down in neutral but doesn't.

It is model # J25teeum and I have searched online for the part pointed out below, which no one is listing in their schematics. This possibly is the culprit.

By making contact on these to tabs, it starts in neutral as well as in gear.

I have bypassed the switch to the ground contacts and now it will crank in F-N-R. None of the schematics have this white switch listed.

Try this

https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=386056

Pappy said:
Give me the model number of your engine.
Not a "deadman" switch. It is a neutral safety switch. Big difference.

New River Rat said:
It is model # J25teeum

thedude said:
Try this

That looks like it! None of the schematics looked right, howd you find it? Thanks!

New River Rat said:
Pappy said:
Give me the model number of your engine.
Not a "deadman" switch. It is a neutral safety switch. Big difference.

New River Rat said:
It is model # J25teeum

thedude said:
Try this

That looks like it! None of the schematics looked right, howd you find it? Thanks!
Haha. Only took 5 or so schematics. I think pappy is right...crankcase schematic

Thanks guys. Not enough digging on my part.

Cylinder & Crankcase Parts

#91 it is!

0386056.jpg

I can't lay claim to being the sharpest hook in the box, so I miss things. I tested the continuity and it showed it was working as it should. I got the neutral start switch and the starter lockout lever off and examined once more. Apparently, the one bolt holding the neutral start switch had loosened and we wernt working together. Everything is lined up and working like a charm this evening.

Some dumb, not plumb dumb.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGikHAgBfRw&feature=youtu.be

Latest posts