Mercury 40hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotodd

Reaction score
Neighbor guy wants me to service his boat/motor/trailer for upcoming crappie season in a couple weeks. 40hp Mercury, 4 stroke, EFI, 3 cylinder. There is no sticker with the serial number on the bracket anywhere. I can see where it used to be but can't find it anywhere else. Says he bought the motor with the boat new in 2009 but I know that it's pretty common for boat dealers to put a 11 motor on a 09 boat with a 10 trailer.

Anyway I need to order a water pump kit for it.

On Mercury marine's website, they show TWO different 40hp EFI 3 cyl USA models. How does one know which one to use?

Check the part number for the water pump for each.. might be the same

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

He does not have insurance on it. It is not required here until you're over 50hp. Says he hasn't found the bill of sale when he bought it either. Title is only applicable to the trailer only in this state-boats and motors are exempt from titling.

There are at least 2 different impeller part numbers.

Without knowing what they cost I might get both send back the one you don't need. The old one should match one or the other without taking it out of the package.

I do not consider myself at all knowledgeable on outboards. Relying on what I'm saying without confirmation is a real bad idea. But maybe this can help.

In the Mercury Marine Parts Catalogue (EZPartsWeb) I see only one general listing for a 40 EFI 3-cyl 4-stroke (See screen shot below). Unfortunately under that there are different serial number ranges & parts diagrams for USA engines.

To me, it looks like impeller part number 19453T is for long shaft and 8508910 is for short shaft. The impeller housing for the short shaft looks "flatter" than for the long shaft. You will see what I mean if you compare the two diagrams.

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 6.47.42 PM.png

I got it figured out.

He bought it new in '09 from a dealer that is out of business. I got to thinking that when that dealer went belly up, I remembered that one of my old coworkers worked there. I called him and as luck would have it, he was in town and stopped by. He pointed out a couple of minor differences in them, and we narrowed it down to a particular model and serial range--just by visually inspecting. Parts are ordered.

There are about 4 different serial ranges. I remember this when I sold Mercury at the dealer I was working at in the 1990's....and absolutely hated dealing with Merc for that very reason. When they built a 40hp motor, there could have been 15 different ones and just because it said "belgium" in the parts break down didn't mean that it wasn't sold somewhere else.

If Jim still doesn't have the manuals database shoot me a PM. Can send you the Mac daddy massive service manuals.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts