Help on my motor height

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orrin

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed to death but wanted to make sure I was understanding everything. I posted a pic below of my cavitation plate vs the bottom of the transom. My boat is a 2000 Polar Craft 1448 with a 1993 25hp Evinrude. I am tossing around adding a jack plate. I have been looking at the Vance manual plate because I can get 5” of rose with a 5” offset. I have also considered the mini jacket, but it only gives 3” of rise and you are pretty much stuck. Where with the Vance you can adjust. My question is am I on the right track? Do you think I can use the full 5”? Will my water pressure be ok?

I use this boat primarily duck hunting. So mostly in shallow water but have to go across the big part of the lake sometimes. If the pic is not clear, the upper little plate above the cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the transom. The little plate is also approximately an inch in the water at cruising speeds. The gps say 28 mph solo with minor gear now.. not sure how accurate that is

Attachments

• F262E8E4-B184-4E33-95A1-FF42E6A0E7D2.jpeg
    F262E8E4-B184-4E33-95A1-FF42E6A0E7D2.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 754
I run a T&H mini jacker and it will do more than 3" of rise. It depends on which sets of holes you use.

I have a boat the same size with an aftermarket TT that sets back 5". I also have a 25 I find that with the setback mine runs best with the cavitation plate about 2" above the bottom of the transom. Before I had the TT with the setback it wouldn't even think of running at that height.

Your upper plate is a spray plate....to keep the spray down a bit.
Your cavitation plate should be okay if you don't care about the bit of performance gain you can achieve with a set back plate, prop, and set-up time.
As you have mentioned there is a ton on the subject. I have written so much I probably got writers cramp a time or two plus a few others here. Read up on it.

Thank you for the replies. After reading the replies to my post and all the other info out there. I just ordered the Vance plate. I may not be able to use the full 5”, but I like the adjustability without having to load up and go home. I should be able to adjust in the water or from shore and try different heights.

Orrin said:
Thank you for the replies. After reading the replies to my post and all the other info out there. I just ordered the Vance plate. I may not be able to use the full 5”, but I like the adjustability without having to load up and go home. I should be able to adjust in the water or from shore and try different heights.
There is no set height exactly, it will depend on boat, weight, distribution etc.

Just set it where it performs the best and you motor still pumps a full stream of water. Make sure you do not starve your motor for water. I am lucky with T&T as I can drop mine down for starting off yet lift it up for normal running. And really jack it up in shallow water for just easing around but I do have to make sure I am still pumping water when I do that.

Latest posts