Lightest 9.9-20 HP 4-stroke options - as of 2019?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
My current motor is a 1986 Mercury 9.9 2-stroke (on a 1974 Smokercraft 14'), which supposedly weighs in at 75 lbs. My dad owned this boat and motor previously, and tried to repower with a Honda 20HP 4-stroke, but I remember the boat did not perform well...the engine was very heavy for it. His solution was to buy a different boat that was a better match! :mrgreen: I believe the motor was a BF20 long shaft weighing in at 110 lbs.

As I have spent time this spring trying to run the engine at home (I'm having some starting issues), it was a little eye opening to see how much oil and "gunk" comes out of the exhaust of an older 2-stroke. I don't think that it is any secret that 2-strokes are all around dirtier than 4-strokes, so once I have the funds, I'm considering repowering.

Is the Honda the lightest 15-20HP 4-stroke currently available? I'm starting to do my research but was hoping for help to narrow the search.

Thanks!

I just did a quick search of this. The Suzuki was the lightest out of the 3 that I looked at.
Suzuki 15-20 hp is 97lbs. with manual start.
Honda 15-20 hp is 104lbs.
Yamaha 15 hp is 111lbs. and 20 hp is 126.
I can say that I have the new Suzuki 25 and am very pleased with it.
I don't know about the Yamaha 20 but my a friend of mine has the new Yamaha 25 and it's really nice too.

hounddog said:
I just did a quick search of this. The Suzuki was the lightest out of the 3 that I looked at.
Suzuki 15-20 hp is 97lbs. with manual start.
Honda 15-20 hp is 104lbs.
Yamaha 15 hp is 111lbs. and 20 hp is 126.
I can say that I have the new Suzuki 25 and am very pleased with it.
I don't know about the Yamaha 20 but my a friend of mine has the new Yamaha 25 and it's really nice too.

Thanks! I'm putting together a list of motors to think about and look for. I will need to talk with my dad on what his Honda is specifically. I recall the motor being a bit too heavy for the boat.

Check out the new Tohatsu 9.9, 15, 20 HP motors, they are all built using the same power head. The weight is only 94 pounds for a short shaft and they also have electronic fuel injection (EFI).

Latest posts