OMC Kill Switch Diagnosis Q

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude

Reaction score
Wanting to confirm the proper understanding of the kill switch on my 1993 Johnson 48 SPL with remote controls. I was lake testing the boat and pulled the safety lanyard and the outboard continued to run. Reading up on the wiring diagrams, I should test the switch per below:

1. Lanyard Off, Switch Closed from M to M terminals (should have continuity)
2. Lanyard On, Switch Open from M to M terminals (should NOT have continuity).

Also, I plan to test continuity from the black/yellow wire from the controls to the outboard harness using same logic above. I assume that if the ignition key is turning motor off as expected, then i don't need to do any testing from the ignition key wiring to the controls.

Any issues with this plan? Below is a useful link that I found and believe I understand (emphasis on believe i understand). Thanks. The Dude.

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

My OEM service manual from OMC for a mid-90s vintage 60hp has the keyswitch tests done with all wires disconnected. Maybe these pictures from the manual will help you ... ? I'd disregard that the picture shows a tiller test for the lanyard, as I believe the circuitry should operate in the same way.

OMC Ignition Kill Lanyard  Test.jpg

OMC Ignition Switch Tests.jpg

Dale, very good to read it this way. I see now that I need to focus on steps 6 and 7 on the 2nd page and test the continuity with the key is all three positions
- off/on/start.

This confirms what i understood. Continuity from M to M would be correct when 1) key is OFF or 2) key is ON/START but lanyard is OFF. If it passes the continuity tests here, then I'll proceed to testing continuity to the outboard.

You know, from using the links Jim provided in the Engine forum, I bought a PDF of that OEM engine service manual for $12 or so ...

I personally would never trust a Seloc or Clymer manual in gving me accurate info/specs ‘specific’ to my exact OB model. They are only useful less for generic info good for many or a class of motors ...

Latest posts